Chapter 1 - Not the Right Time

"Ari, are you sure you want to do this?" Dylan, my beta, asks me one last time, looking worried.

In spite of my own queasiness, I lightly hit his shoulder and reply, "Of course, I'm sure. We need this."

He stares at me with a hesitant look in his eye.

"Oh, don't look like you're going to pee your pants. What are they going to do to us? Make our heads explode with their oh-so-intimidating alpha presences?" I ask him, putting air quotes around super duper. "Yeah right."

"Explode?" he laughs. "I was thinking more along the lines of just snapping our necks."

"Well, that's not even fun!" I joke. "Be more creative, Dylan, or I may need to find a new beta."

"Alright then, let's get this thing over with."

I turn to motion for the three other members of my pack to start moving. Together, we shift and head closer to the heart of the Warriors' territory.

------ Mateus's P.O.V

"The rogues are grouping together!" Alpha Thomas asserts. "We must do something about it! We can't let them gain strength and continue to attack our packs in larger numbers!"

A few heads nod around the ovular table, silently agreeing with Alpha Thomas' statement.

I speak up, "None of them have shown any violent tendencies yet, Alpha Thomas. It'd be a waste of men if I sent anyone to quell them now. I'll distribute a few men to do rounds of monitoring, and that's all."

"Alpha Jackson, perhaps we are underestimating them?" Alpha Anders queries.

"Maybe," I acquiesce. "But I think it is best to worry about this if the situation progresses. Right now, I just want my pack out of that Sheperd/Grangerford feud. If the two packs could come to some sort of agreement and stop ripping each other's heads off, I'd have some men to spare for the rogues."

"They're still fighting?" Alpha Sandy speaks up, incredulous. "I thought they ended that months ago!"

"Well," I trail off, "that was until a Grangerford supposedly stole a watermelon from a Sheperd farm."

"A watermelon," Alpha Derek mutters. "You've got to be joking. All this over a watermelon?"

"If one of you can talk some sense into those packs, please, be my guest," I admit. The feud was a waste of time and energy, but it was something that had to be kept down in order to keep our kind hidden.

The door swiftly swings open, and Sterling appears, red-faced and out-of-breath. "Alphas, I'm sorry to disturb you, but five rogues have crossed territory boundaries. Alpha Jackson, we have them restrained, but I don't think they are here for trouble. The leader wishes to speak."

Although the request has taken me off guard, I don't show it. "Speak? At this meeting?"

Sterling responds, "Yes, Alpha Jackson. They are very adamant."

"Well then, if they want to speak, let them come speak."

Alpha Thomas speaks again, saying, "Alpha Jackson, we should dispose of them right now. It'd make the future much easier."

Man, this guy is out for blood. "Alpha Thomas, they have come in peace. I am not unnecessarily cruel."

The door opens again, and a group of my men escort in a wolf. My nose perks up at the aromatic smell of oranges. Why do these rogues smell like citrus?