Chapter 27 - Odd Zombie Aesthetic

By the morning of the board meeting, the bags under my eyes are so pronounced that I have an odd zombie aesthetic going. It doesn't help that my curls have been reduced to pure frizz from restless nights of frantically tossing and turning around to look at the next shadow on the wall. I fight back the yawns all through breakfast and even make my way upstairs to glob concealer under my eyes before the meeting.

'If Dylan were here,' I think to myself, 'he'd be talking so much shit right now.'

I perk myself up by coming up with comments Dylan, and even Sterling and Nathan, would tell me if they saw the zombie-me in the flesh right now, and, fighting the urge to take a nap, I force my feet to take me outside.

"There's my favorite redhead!" James exclaims, his famous grin lighting up his face as he steps out of his recently-parked car.

A smile automatically forms on my lips, and I walk up to him to give him a tight hug. "My hair isn't red, you devil," I comment, feigning annoyance.

"It's reddish-brown.That's basically red."

I pull back to give him a glare, but he squeezes me to his chest and lifts me into the air to do a small spin.

"I surprisingly missed you, you little vixen," he notes. "I don't have anyone to give me any trouble back at my pack, and it gets rather boring."

"Awww, I missed you too James," I tell him, ruffling his blonde locks as he finally loosens his grip on me, and I take a few steps back, "but that's the third time you've hugged me now. Still too chicken to admit you're a hugger?"

"Maybe it's just your pull on me, you enchantress," he remarks, winking suggestively.

He closes the door of his car and walks with me to the porch of the pack house.

"So how are things with you and Mateus?" he questions, still trying to play matchmaker.

"Just as they were before you left and just as they're going to stay."

James gives me a disappointed look before asking, "Where is my little Matty anyway?"

"I have no idea. He wasn't at breakfast."

He sighs. "He's probably in the gym trying to distract himself from the board meeting. He hates having to do them; they stress him out. All that arguing..."

"And the annoying voice of Alpha Thomas," I add.

James chuckles, "Yes, and that. That's why I always come a little early to talk to him."

"You're a good friend, James," I tell him.

He shrugs it off. "Mateus has always been there for me; I'm just trying to return the favour."

I look away, scraping the toe of my shoe across the bricks of the porch.

"He's a good man, Ariadne." He catches my eyes meaningfully before backing off the porch. "I'm going to find Mateus. See you later."

Enjoying the morning weather, I take a seat in a rocking chair to call Dylan to review the pack training sessions for the day with him. In the distance, I see cars start to pull into the meeting hall, so I stand up, smooth down my slacks, my attempt at dressing professionally, and walk over.

All the alphas are gathered in the lobby of the hall. Most sip hot cups of coffee and catch up with the other alphas, while other, less social ones... well, more like the less social one, Alpha Thomas, stands against a wall speaking irately into a cell phone. Is he ever happy? Many take notice of my entrance.