Chapter 29 - Something's Wrong

When I wake, it's early morning, and my right palm is starting to sweat in Mateus' grasp. Yikes. Trying not to disturb his sleep, I watch his eyelids for signs of movement as I carefully pry his hands off mine finger by finger. I slowly roll onto my back and stare at the ceiling.

My god, what was I thinking last night? Stay, please? What kind of pathetic shit is that? He keeps showing up during my most embarrassing moments. I'm surprised he doesn't think I'm insane yet.

I glance over at him. He's still asleep. Good. I have to decide what to say when he wakes up.

'Thanks for last night, I'm often terrified of sleeping alone' is not an option. I could make something up. Maybe something along the lines of 'Good morning, I had a really weird fever yesterday. My brain was all foggy. Sorry if I acted weird.'?

I could say nothing at all. I could pretend like everything's normal, or leave and make myself busy until he comes downstairs.

Scanning his features, I turn to face Mateus again. His hair has fallen onto his forehead in his sleep. No longer keeping up his normal hard expression, his sandy pink lips have slightly parted. My chest tightens, and I try to push my feelings down. My image of him has changed so much since our first meeting. He's thoughtful, kind, handsome, and a good leader. Sure, he's bad at showing any warmth in a professional setting, but I think it's because the whole position was thrown at him so suddenly. He doesn't know what to do besides his job.

I don't deserve him. He's so good, and I'm just a hot mess with a lot of baggage.

I make a decision.

Slowly, I get up from the bed to quietly change. Careful to not close the bedroom door loudly, I leave.

It's too early to help start breakfast, so I go to the gym to work out by myself.

I'm letting loose into a punching bag when I feel a hand come down onto my shoulder. Instinctually, I spin, punching out before I know if the person is friend or foe. Mateus catches my gloved fist in his hand.

"That hurt. Good job," he appraises.

He grabs the nearest sweat towel and hands it to me. Thankfully, it hasn't been too long, and I've only broken into a light sweat.

I laugh. We're in the exact same situation that we were almost three weeks ago. This time, however, the roles have reversed. Mateus' lips curl up in a large, closed smile, and his hidden dimple makes an appearance.

Before he can ask about last night, I start talking. "The tournament is in three days. I'm nervous, of course, but I'm ready to kick some ass. I feel prepared"

His smile widens, and his teeth peep out beneath his lips. He says proudly, "You should. You've developed your skills a lot."

 "So I..." Mateus continues, but before he gets a chance to finish, the cellphone in his pocket begins to ring.

"This is Mateus Jackson," he answers, stepping away from me and switching to a professional tone. His face immediately steadies.

I tune out, patting my face with the towel, not wanting to eavesdrop on his calls, but when after a minute, his voice changes tone slightly, I begin to listen. Something's wrong.

"What's the estimate on their numbers?" he asks.

I can hear the other man's response. "We don't know. Their scents aren't leading anywhere. They must be working together to cover each other up."

Mateus sighs and runs his hand through his hair. His features are still schooled, but in Mateus language, the small gesture screams frustration.

"I assume there will be a conference call tonight," Mateus says.

"Yes. 9 o' clock eastern. If it gets any worse, they're calling a national meeting," the person responds.

"Ok, call me if there's anything I can do to help."

"I will, bye."

Mateus puts his phone back into his pocket and stares silently at the distant wall with a slight frown on his face.

"Mateus," I call out quietly, and walk til I'm beside him. "What's wrong?"

The frown disappears as he turns to me. "Rogues. The bad kind. They're attacking the packs in the deep south, killing a few members at a time, and disappearing."

My stomach lurches, yet I try to remain calm as he continues.

"The last time something like this the largest pack in the nation was almost entirely wiped out. Murdered."

"The Atchafalaya pack." My voice is cold.

"Yes. One of the alphas in the region just called me. They're worried, as they should be."

I nod. The gravity of the situation hangs between us like a cold, dense fog.

I excuse myself. "I should call Dylan."

I rush out of the gym and back to my room for my cell phone.

"Please answer, please answer," I chant, not even wasting the time to look Dylan's name up in my contacts. I type the familiar number manually.

I don't even let Dylan finish saying hello before I say, "Dylan, I think he's planning something again."

There's a few seconds of silence. "Did he say something to you?"

"No, no, no," I say hurriedly. "Mateus got a call. There's been deadly attacks. Only in the deep south. Unexplained. No trace of the rogues."

"Shit."

"I know, Dylan. What do we do?"

"We don't do anything."

"Dylan, I can't not do something. It's my fault..."

He interrupts me. "No, don't say that. It's not your fault. And I know, it sucks. It hurts. But we can't do anything. It's safest for us, safest for you, if we stay here and we stay silent."

"Dylan." My voice cracks when I say his name. There's a lump in my throat. I can feel my eyes start to burn.

"Ariadne, it's going to be ok. Everything's going to be ok."

The tears start falling down my cheeks.

Dylan notices, of course. "Oh Ari, I think you should come back home for the next three days."

"No," I say quietly. "I need to be here, so I can get all the information as it comes in. I need to know if our pack is going to be in danger."

"I understand." I can hear him sigh. "Do you want me to come to you?"

"No, I need you there, especially now."

"Ok. You're going to be ok. I love you."

"Love you too, Dylan."

"Get some sleep now for me, all right?"

"Ok," I whisper and end the call.

I walk to the shower, turn it on, and get in fully clothed. I curl up into a ball on the floor beneath the spray and just sob. I haven't cried in so long that it all just comes out in an overwhelming downpour.

~~~~~~~~~~

Alright guys, we're 117 word doc pages into this story and officially through most of the rising action and all of the introductory parts. Expect the story to start picking up in pace. I'm super excited. I haven't finished writing the book, of course, but I expect this to be about the halfway point. 

Please comment guys! I love reading them. They make me smile. It's nice to see how you all are interacting with the characters and how you feel about them. 

Vote or follow if you wish. Have a charming day! (~˘▾˘)~