Chapter 35 - Round One: Not an "Independent Woman" Thing

The next morning, Vincent and Dylan go to join the crowd in the raised seats while I go to the area beneath the arena floor for the competitors. Not really wanting to talk to anyone or intrude on their space, I stay away from the men getting ready while we wait for the final list of fighting pairs. It's day one, so we'll be fighting in our human form. There's a little over 50 of us now, and by the end of the day, that number will be exactly halved. Whoever wins the fight, advances. The fighting rules for all rounds of the tournament will be different from sparring rules. Blood is allowed to be drawn and you're allowed to hit the face, but deadly blows/bites are frowned upon. The loser is instead encouraged to either admit defeat or, for the other rounds involving wolf fighting, show his neck in submission.

I am excited and very ready to show everyone that I am someone to be respected, not laughed at. I'm given the name of the man I'll be fighting, but it doesn't matter, I have no idea who he is. We'll be the seventh match. Competitors are allowed to watch the other matches, but I stay underground. There will be plenty of time for that later.

The matches start, and I can hear occasional cheering coming from above ground. I count as each new pair is sent out by the tournament workers, and each old pair comes back in, some in defeat and some in victory.

First, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and suddenly it's my turn. I catch my first glimpse of my competitor. He's tall and fit, like most werewolf men, and seems to be in his early thirties, but appears pretty average for the most part.

The sixth pair comes back in; one of them looks rough, but I don't have time to look at him in detail because I'm ushered up the ramp and into the arena.

We stop in the center of the circle, the lowest above ground level of the arena, look up at the alphas and important visitors section, where I can see the two national council members awaiting my fate, and wait for the first sound of the bell. We shake hands, walk away 15 steps away from each other, and wait for the second bell.

It feels like forever, but soon the bell sounds, echoing against the walls of our level of the arena.

My opponent attacks immediately, and although I was surprised, I dodge him without hesitation. Alright, defense it is for now. He's quick and makes a few more attacks without pause, managing to get a good hit to my shoulder.

It's then, when he takes a satisfied step back, that I make my first offensive move and punch him twice, leaving one of my sides unguarded but willing to take the risk. He deflects the one aimed at his chest in time, but the one I really meant to hit him with socks him in the jaw. He looks stunned for a second before making a clumsy move back. It doesn't even hit me.

I decide I'm done with the fight and wait for a good time to finish it. He manages to get a few painful hits on me, but then I do a sweep kick that knocks him off balance. I forcefully shove him backwards, causing him to stumble. He tries to regain his balance and punch outward, but I hook his ankle with my foot, bringing him to the ground. I pin him and keep him there until he has to surrender and the bell rings the third time.

I allow him to get back up, and we both stand to face the middle section for a second before we walk back underground.

I search for Dylan and Vincent in the crowd as I walk and smile when I find them.

I've passed round one of the tournament.

Dylan meets me at the area at the top of the stairs, one of the entrances to the lower level from outside the arena. "You good? Any injuries?" he asks.