Chapter 12 - The River

The river on our land winds down from the mountains, so my pack's favorite spot has small cliffs along the bank that are perfect for jumping into the water. Further up from the spot is a small waterfall, and further down is a strip of rocky beach. There, we have a small storage unit for kayaks and canoes. Trees hang over the river, creating a shady, cool area and a relaxing atmosphere. 

Our group trickles through the path in the woods. Most of the warriors not on patrol duty right now have decided to come with us as well as a lot of my younger pack members. Dylan and Nathan lead the way, cutting up the whole time. Towards the back of the group, James, Mateus, and I walk together. It's awkward, and James keeps trying to start conversation. For James's sake, I try to play along, but Mateus, the Debbie Downer, isn't saying much.

 We get to to the beach area, and most people start peeling their cover ups off, ready to head into the water.

 "Alpha!" Lily calls from the bank, and three heads turn around, responding to the title. James's eyes get a little wider, taking in the beautiful blonde in her cute little bikini. I can only imagine the flirting she'd have to deal with if Sterling, the little rascal, was off duty.

I slap James's arm and whisper, "Way too young for you, buddy."

"Yes, Lily?" I answer the seventeen year old.

"You coming in?" she asks. "Some of the guys were talking about a cannon ball contest, and it's always fun to see people try to beat you"

"The guys," the collection of shirtless young warriors around her, all nod avidly, and I almost laugh. The girl attracts flocks of males, but she doesn't give many the time of day. Like me, she's very independent, and if I had met her before I had come to Washington, we would probably have been best friends. 

I gesture to my side, which wasn't bothering me too much because I took another dose of painkillers after breakfast, but I wanted to keep it safe. "The wound seems closed, but I don't want to risk it. Sorry, Lily, maybe next time." Much to James's dismay, I hadn't worn a bikini, wanting to protect the fresh bandage on my side.

"Be the judge, Ari!" Dylan yells, grabbing my hand and running up the riverbank, towards the rocks, pulling me along with him.

"Fine. Come on then, you guys!" I shout to the people at the beach.

My pack members don't hesitate in running after us, yelling and whooping into the forest.

 I take a spot on a lower rock formation, so I can judge the contest.

 "Alright guys," I yell to the people on the top of the cliff, "you better impress me!"

 Lily goes first. Her form was good, but the splash wasn't too large. "Seven!" I yell.

James tries next. "Six!" I announce. "I expected better, James."

A few people go before Mateus approaches my rock.

"Not going to show off your cannonball skills?" I ask him, slightly teasing.

"No," he responds tersely.

Trying to crack him open a bit, I continue to poke the bear. "Aww does poor little Matty not know how to swim?"

 "No."

 "Oh so you're afraid of heights?"

 "No."

 "The man-eating fish in the water?"

 Finally, Mateus smiles. "Only if they're the kind that nibble on your feet."

"Oh they are," I say as seriously as possible. "Do you think Old Mac's only foot problem is her ingrown toe? She swam out here once, and her feet have never been the same."