Chapter 15 - Only One

Today, I didn't have a session with Mateus. Once a week, I hold a little training session for the kids in our pack. Although I hate to admit it, these kids need to know how to defend themselves. Yes, I'd like to believe that they're safe and protected here in my pack, but from past experiences I know that security is just another facade; there's ways past every defense. If anything were to happen, I don't want the kids to feel dependent on someone or something that may not be there or be able to help them.

    "Alright kiddos!" I call, getting their attention.

    A dozen kids ages 6-13 drop the prop weapons they were examining and come running. They gather around me, and I quickly notice that the 13 year old, Alejo, is almost as tall as me. Ahh the perks of being short.

    I tell them to pair up and show them a basic flipping maneuver, instructing them to practice it on their partner. "Gently guys. We don't want serious injuries."

    Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Sterling and Nathan, positioned near the doors, tense up suddenly.

    "What's up?" I ask, approaching them.

    "A rogue was caught trying to pass into your territory," Sterling responds. "Mateus is handling it."

    "Only one?"

    "So far," Nathan comments. "There may be others behind it."

    "Which border?"

    "Southeastern," Sterling reports.

    "Can you two take over? I am going to go check it out."

    Nathan and Sterling step in front of the door.

    "Sorry Ari," Nathan apologizes. "Mateus said to keep you inside."

    "This is not Mateus's pack," I growl.

    "But what if there are others?" Sterling asks. "It's safe here."

    "I won't be alone. I'm going to Mateus's location."

    Nathan stares over my head for a second then responds. "He's adamant that you stay."

    "Well, please tell Mateus to go fuck himself," I tell them before walking into the bathroom. There, I exit the building through a side door, placed there so members of the pack can enter the bathroom after a change.

    As soon as I'm out, I run to the southeastern border, anger rolling off me in waves. Mateus can not tell me what to do.

    "Shift!" I hear a voice, Mateus's, demand, and I follow the sound to the source.

    Mateus catches my scent as soon as I make my way to the group or warriors, and he whips around, eyes filled with surprise.

    Two of his warriors come to stand on either side of me, and even though I know they're likely just obeying mind-linked orders, I give them my best glare.

    Mateus turns back around and makes the same order. "Shift!"

    Then, I hear the whimper. Mateus's large form is blocking the source of the sound, but I know it's not one of a vicious rogue admitting its defeat; it's one filled with pain and fear.

    Quickly so the two warriors don't have a chance to react, I dart around Mateus.

    The dark brown wolf is small and thin. It's still standing, but it's backed up against a tree and shaking. By the way it favors its right paw, I can tell that its left leg may be broken.