Chapter 45 - Somewhere in the Middle

"Ariadne," Mateus says softly, tapping my arm lightly to wake me up.

I can feel his chest hum beneath my head with the words.

I keep my eyes closed. "Hmm?"

The shirt he put on me rose up in the night, so I feel it when he trails his fingers along my side and down my hip. It would be ticklish if I weren't so relaxed, but it feels good right now. The telltale tingles are comforting in a way.

"It's almost nine," he responds.

"Mmhmm."

"Ariadne."

"Just give me a minute."

I nestle into him, breathing in his scent through my nose.

Finally, I sit up, stretch, my arms over my head, and yawn loudly.

Mateus laughs. His hand now makes trails of circles on my back.

"Hey, you were the one that made me go to sleep. You can't judge me now for not wanting to get up."

"I'm not judging," he said. "It's cute."

I can feel the frizz around my face; my curls are probably in knots. The last thing I feel right now is cute.

"I should get started," I say, standing up. "How much dirt do you think I need?"

"This is the first ritual the region has had since I've been alpha," he says. "I don't know. I've never seen it happen before."

I'd never either. The ritual is only necessary when a new pack is starting or an old alpha dies without establishing a successor beforehand, so it's pretty rare.

"Do you think I need a few buckets or like a whole wheelbarrow full?"

"Somewhere in the middle, I'd imagine."

I decide on filling up three large 5 gallon buckets, and set to work with a shovel outside on the training grounds.

"That's a nice little hole you got there," Dylan says, coming out of the house with Sterling and Nathan.

He hugs me.

"You smell like him," Dylan whispers to me before backing away, quiet enough that only I can hear.

I make a note to shower before the council members get here.

"It's going to be so embarrassing if this isn't enough," I tell them, motioning to the buckets.

"I wouldn't worry about the dirt," Sterling says, eyeing my progress. "That's going to need a lot of blood."

"I'm trying not to focus on that part too much," I admit.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of excited to see how it all works," Sterling adds.

Carter walks up from the direction of the cabins.

"Are the flights still on time?" I ask him.

"Yes, Sky, Sam, and I are leaving at 11 for the airport."

I nod in acknowledgement and put another shovelful of dirt into a bucket.

"Donovan and Weston told me yesterday that they're not going to participate today," Carter states. "They don't feel comfortable being linked to everyone so soon."

"That's understandable," I say, pushing the shovel into the ground again.

Sweat falls down my forehead.

"Do you want some help?" Dylan asks.

"I'm supposed to do it all by myself," I respond. "Apparently it's literally required for me to put my blood, sweat, and tears into this pack."

"Damn," Sterling says.

They help me get everything else ready after I finish. When we're done, I shower, washing all the dirt and Mateus' scent off me. I don't want the council's judgement today.

After one, perfectly on time. Carter, Sky, and Sam arrive to the main house with three cars full of all 10 of the national council members.

All of them are as professional as the first time I saw them. It's odd knowing that they're here on our land for us. Practically every alpha in the entire country has to agree on any new council members. These people are like gods.

Mateus comes out to greet them as well.

Because they're needed elsewhere tomorrow and not staying the night, we immediately start heading to the training grounds, where we're doing the ritual. It's our only large, cleared area of land, aside from the small half-acre in front of the main house.

The pack is mostly already gathered when we get there, but some come as it gets closer to two. The council members don't seem entirely keen on conversation, so I, for the most part, just stand silently by the table we set up, waiting as more of the pack shows up. I'm surprised to see Weston and Donovan standing in the back to observe.

Mateus comes to stand beside me.

"It's not going to be comfortable," he tells me, "having everyone's consciousness connect to yours at the same time. No one told me about that part of becoming an alpha, so it was a surprise when my father died. Try to embrace it, and it won't hurt."

God, if only he knew, I think, remembering events from four years ago quite clearly. "Thanks for the advice," I say instead.

I see Old Mac enter the field.

"Everyone's here," I tell the council.

"Let's begin then," the leader says, opening his briefcase and laying its contents out onto the table: a silver bowl, a silver chalice, a silver knife, and two steel knives.

Mateus steps back into the crowd. He's mainly required to be here as an outside witness. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Question of the week: The ritual materials were given in this chapter. What do you guys think the ritual will be like? 

Please vote, follow, and/or comment!

≧◡≦