Chapter 15

Waking up early is never a fun thing to do, not after a night of peaceful slumber and most definitely not after a night of drinking and fucking a random girl in order to forget someone else. The latter, however, is even worse when the thing waking you up isn’t your alarm but your mother shouting your name in a quite angry sort of voice.

-

“Daniel.” Mrs Howell calls and Dan might have been half-asleep only seconds ago but now he is wide awake and his mother is angry at him for whatever reason, is shouting at him and while that is quite alarming as well, what confuses Dan the most is that his mother is at home at all because the last time he saw her was at least a week ago. Or maybe even longer, Dan has given up on counting ages ago.

He slowly sits up in his bed, leaning against the headboard as he tries to recall the events from last night. And everything is really blurry and hazy and Dan can hardly remember any details but there’s one thing that overshadows everything else because that one thing is what he confessed to himself last night.

His feelings for Phil.

Dan finally accepted the fact that he is in love with Phil and he catches himself grinning to himself for a short moment before he snaps out of it. 
No, liking Phil isn’t something he can smile about, isn’t something he can be happy about. Because Phil doesn’t like him anymore, probably hates him by now and Dan kind of hates himself too because he is a fucking prick and he hurt Phil and he lied to him and he is just generally a really fucking asshole.

Down the hall he can hear his mum approaching his room and while Dan’s head is full with Phil and Phil and nothing but Phil, he has to think about something else now, because his mum is angry at him and Dan has no idea why.

He contemplates about everything he did in the past few days, tries to find something his mother could be angry about but just he can’t really think of anything because even though there is a lot of stuff he shouldn’t have done, his mum wouldn’t know about any of it.

Then the door to his room opens and there his mother is, all in business costume and with make-up on and apparently she has just come back from whatever business trip she was on.

“Daniel James Howell.” She says sternly, resting her hand on her hip. “Would you care to explain why there is a barely dressed girl in the living room?”

And oh- now Dan remembers. Accepting his feelings wasn’t everything that happened last night, he also fucked some girl. 
Quickly he takes a glance to the left where he remembers the girl fell asleep and of course the spot is empty now; just like the floor where they had thrown their clothes in the heat of the moment.

He can hear the front door fall shut downstairs and eventually looks back to his mother. “Pretty sure she isn’t down there anymore.” He mumbles, rubbing his head where he can feel a headache forming and maybe he really shouldn’t have gone out drinking last night because now he feels like shit and since his mum is at home Dan can’t just stay at home and ditch school either.

“Don’t you dare talking to me like that, young man.” Mrs Howell exclaims, voice high and shaking, something it only does when she’s really angry about something. “I want an explanation from you as for why there was a girl I’ve never seen before in our house.”

“Take a guess, it’s not that fucking difficult to understand, is it?” Dan rolls his eyes, crossing his arms and it’s probably the hangover and general frustration speaking out of him because he would never talk to his mother like that. She might not be the greatest parent but she still is his mother and Dan respects and loves her despite everything.  

It’s just- he really doesn’t need his mum to keep on about the mistake he made because he knows he shouldn’t have taken that girl home last night, okay, Dan knows well enough how much of a prick he has been. He knows he should have confronted his feelings like any other person would have, he should have accepted that he likes Phil and then logically reasoned over it.