Chapter 17

“The truth?” Phil asks, voice turning slightly higher at the end. “What- what do you mean?”

“I’m not sure if this is the right place to talk about this.” PJ mumbles, letting his eyes wander over the very few students still lingering around the school grounds. “There’s a small café right around the block. Do you mind if we talk there instead?”

Phil shrugs, fingers clasped around the straps of his schoolbag. “S-sure.”

“Alright then.” PJ says, raising his eyebrow at Phil’s nervous behaviour before making his way towards the school gates. “You know, Phil, you really don’t have to be scared of us or anything.” He reassures, hoping Phil will loosen up a bit. However, after what Dan told him, PJ is more than sure that it’ll take more than just a few minutes to have Phil relax around them.

“I- I’m not.” Phil replies quickly, cheeks turning pink as he stumbles after PJ and Chris. “I just- I don’t t-talk to people that- that much. S-sorry.”

Chris smiles at him endearingly. Phil really acts like a kitten of some sorts, all cute and stumbling over his own feet. “It’s fine. You don’t have to say anything, rather just listen to what we have to say.”

“R-right, okay.” Phil nods, shoving his hands into his pockets.

The boy looks all shied out and like a deer caught in the headlights and Chris can’t help but wonder how the hell Dan fell for Phil. Because as nice and sweet he seems to be, Phil is by no means the type of guy Chris thought Dan would go for. Everything about him is so reluctant and quiet and cute and – especially after seeing the sort of people Dan usually hooks up with – it’s just so, so surprising to see Dan fall for someone who is so very different to himself. Maybe there actually is a little bit of truth to the saying opposites attract.

It’s a rather quiet walk to the café as neither of the boys says anything, but while for Phil that is pretty normal, Chris and PJ are silent because they are both trying to think of ways to tell Phil the truth about everything without having him doubting their words. And that, Chris is certain, will be hard as fuck, because Phil clearly has no reason whatsoever to believe them, especially not after all the things Dan did. But still- Chris just hopes that Phil is one to easily forgive because God knows, Dan really wouldn’t deserve to be forgiven in any way.

-

“What- what do you want t-to talk about then?” Phil asks when they’re all seated at one of booths in the back of the café. He is nervously clinging onto the cup of hot chocolate he ordered and Chris feels kind of bad for making him wait so long.

“Well, about Dan.” PJ says reluctantly, still not sure how to go on about this all.

Phil nods, his eyes darkening slightly at the mention of Dan’s name and Chris really can’t blame him. If their roles were switched, he probably would have punched them in face or something, along with Dan, so really, they should be damn grateful that Phil didn’t decline to talk to them.
“Y-yeah, well, what about him?” Phil asks cautiously.

PJ gnaws on his lip, gives Chris a clueless look before letting out a sigh. “You know, I totally understand that you’re pissed at Dan and everything.” He starts, eyeing Phil carefully. “You have every right to, seriously. If I were in your position I would have probably murdered Dan for what he has done.”

“Yeah, well-“ Phil shrugs uncomfortably, doesn’t end his sentence.

“But-“ PJ continues. “You don’t know the whole story.”

Phil furrows his brows. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Well, let’s hear everything from your point of view first, alright?” PJ asks, smiling encouragingly at him. “We’ll fill you in on the details and everything afterwards.”