Chapter 21

Rationally, Dan is bound to feel different the next day in school. Because not only has he finally admitted that he is in love, but alongside that he has also kind of got his heart broken; with Phil refusing to take him back and everything.

Things are surprisingly normal though, Dan has to admit. People are greeting him when he goes through the hallways, high-fiving him and occasionally inviting him to hang out and Dan can’t help but feel odd and out of place. Because he definitely feels different about a lot of things and it’s just so weird that people don’t treat him differently as well. 
But then again, it’s quite reasonable that everything is the same. After all people can’t exactly look inside Dan’s head and therefore don’t know anything that is going on in his life.

So it really shouldn’t have been surprising at all when Holly cornered him after their shared English class, demanding an answer as for why he has been all distant and ignoring her lately.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” Dan rolls his eyes, clenching his jaw at Holly’s close approximation. He might have enjoyed that some time ago, but now all Dan feels is cramped and annoyed.

“You didn’t text me on the weekend.” Holly clarifies, sticks her bottom lip out in an attempt to look vulnerable. “I thought you might have wanted to …” She makes an unmistakeable hand gesture and Dan feels rather sick at the very thought of it. Besides, the solemn thought of having sex with Holly, touching her, makes Dan feel as if he is cheating on Phil.

“I was busy.” He states, taking a step forward to make an escape.

Holly has different plans though and quickly slings her arms around Dan’s neck, pulling his face close.

“Now, now.” She purrs, sweet breath hitting Dan’s cheek. “Not so fast. I was wondering if you would maybe want to skip next lesson with me? I’ve heard the locker room is basically deserted at this time of the day.”

Dan can barely hold a snort back at Holly’s ridiculous suggestion. As if he would ever risk getting kicked out of school for a quick shag. Holly really does seem to think he is a right fool.

(But maybe Holly isn’t too wrong with her presumption because Dan is rather sure that there has been a time when he would have actually considered having a quick fuck with Holly in school. The very thought of it is repelling now.)

“No, thanks.” He replies drily, twisting out of her grip. “I’ve got to go now.”

Before Holly can get a hold on him again, Dan skilfully skids around her and makes a run for the crowded hallway.  

“Dan!” He can hear her calling after him, trying to command him back, but before she can try to catch up with him, Dan is already around the corner and running towards the safety of his Biology class.

“What took you so long?” Chris greets him, watching suspiciously as Dan slumps down into the chair next to him, breathing heavily.

“H-holly was trying-“ He takes a deep breath, coaxing much needed air into his burning lungs. “She wanted to have a quick fuck in the locker room.”

Chris snorts. “And so you decided to just make a run for it?” He asks, the corner of his mouth twitching. “Very smooth.”

“Fuck you.” Dan groans, rolling his eyes. “Better than having to explain to her that I have no desire whatsoever to fuck her on the school grounds. Or like, fuck her, full stop.”

“Listen to yourself, mate. I would have never thought to hear these words out of your mouth.” Chris muses, something like actual appreciation hidden beneath his sarcasm.