Chapter 23

“You really don’t have to do this.” Phil says, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his trousers.

Dan rolls his eyes. “It’s the least I can do to prevent people from going after you and shit.” He explains, bumping shoulders with Phil.

After the somewhat disastrous incident during lunch break, Dan has decided that maybe it would be a good idea to show Phil home after school, just in case any of their class mates decide to play at something. Dan doesn’t want to take chances.

“It’s really not necessary though.” Phil insists. “I can look after myself, you know.”

Dan hums in response. “I know that but I still think it’s safer this way.”

Phil’s lips quirk up in a shy smile. “Thank you, Dan.”

Dan shrugs. “It’s nothing, really.”

With a shake of his head Phil clears his throat. “I’ve never had someone actually taking care of me like you do.” He confesses.
”Well, except for my mum but that’s just embarrassing.”

Dan chuckles. “Adorable.”

“Totally.” Phil rolls his eyes, shoving Dan gently to the side. “It’s just awful how much she fusses sometimes.”

“At least she cares about you.” Dan blurts before he can stop himself.

He can feel Phil’s eyes on his face but he doesn’t elaborate further. Family is a kind of really risky topic and Dan doesn’t know how much about his family he should share with Phil because it’s just- it’s so very personal and Dan hardly talks to anyone about it. It hurts too much and reminds him of how fucked up things really are and Dan doesn’t need to be reminded of that all the time.

“Your mum cares about you, too.” Phil says quietly and somehow his fingers find their way in between Dan’s,

“You don’t know my mum.” Dan replies bitterly, casting his gaze. For a short moment he wonders if Phil is going to drop the subject but of course he doesn’t. He is Phil, after all; curious about all the wrong things.

“Why wouldn’t she care about you?” He asks quietly, brows furrowed in confusion.

Dan sighs deeply, shrugging unsurely. “She- it’s not like she doesn’t care on purpose.” He mumbles, cringing at his own words. “She and dad are just really busy with work and stuff.”

Phil hums in response, beckoning Dan to go on. With another sigh Dan does just that.

“They either work late into the night or go on a lot of business trips.” He explains. “I can’t even remember the last time I saw my father, let alone had a full conversation with him.”
He gulps as the reality of his words sinks in. “They don’t give a shit about me or what I do.”

Phil sighs sadly, rubbing his thumb across the back of Dan’s hand but even the sweet gesture does nothing in cheering Dan up.

“I’m sorry.” Phil replies. “I truly am. I wish I could do something about it, help you in some way.”

“It’s fine.” Dan mumbles. “It has its ups, too. The being home alone most of the time, I mean. I don’t have to ask when I want to go out or invite friends over.”

It’s the only up-side, though, if Dan is being honest. Other than that he just feels lonely and miserable in his big, empty house.

“They don’t know half of the stuff I do.” Dan continues, his mind going back to the last conversation he had with his mum and he has to bit down on his tongue to keep his anger down.