14; Short Hair

Wc: 1974

Enjoy my lovelies❤

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It has been a week since you got sent up into the maze. You were the only girl, so at first, the other Gladers hadn't been awfully trusting and seemed really nervous and jittery about the fact that you had been sent up. But once they realized that absolutely nothing had changed since your arrival, they relaxed and welcomed you to the Glade properly. The others Gladers were nice to you, and if they weren't exactly nice, they still respected you. Surprisingly, they didn't try to invade your personal space or try to hit on you, but they were a bit......well, coarse from time to time. They weren't used to being around girls, so their way of talking and expressing their thoughts were on the rougher and more insulting side. But you had a thick skin and you knew that they meant well.

"Hey (Y/N)!" You heard a heavily accented voice call, and you spun around to see the Second-in-command, Newt, walking towards you. He was your best friend in the Glade (the two of you just got on so well and loved the same things so it was a no-brainer), and you trusted him over everybody else. His long, blonde hair hung down, and his bright smile made you smile in return, "Hey Newt! What's up?" Newt just opened his mouth to reply when he suddenly froze; you heard sniggering coming from a pair of Gladers working nearby. They were both glancing at Newt and sniggering quietly between glances, when suddenly one of them spoke up, "Hey Newt! How come your hair is so shucking long? It's longer than the Greenie's!" "If your hair was any longer, I could use it as a rope to climb out of this klunk show!" The other jeered, causing the pair of them to burst into laughter. You felt your anger rising, and when you looked over at Newt, you saw his expression was unreadable.

"Don't worry about it, (Y/N). It's not the first time," he mumbled quietly, shaking his head lightly as he gazed down at his feet, his hands shoved deep into his pant pockets. You shot the two Gladers a withering look, before approaching your best friend and placing your hands gently on his shoulders. You looked up at him (he was a whole head taller than you), and smiled at him gently, "Don't you worry about them, Newt. It doesn't matter what they think. And if you need me to beat the living klunk out of them, I'll do it in a heartbeat." Newt let out a quiet chuckle before he looked up at you and smiled, "Thanks, (Y/N)." You nodded, and then the two of you continued into the Medjack hut where you worked, discussing plans for the Glade. For the rest of the day, the two of you spent all your time together, working hard but still joking and laughing in the meantime. You spent dinner with him and hung out with him afterwards until bed time, walking around the Glade whilst talking about everything and anything. You loved his company and he loved yours, so it was simply perfect.

In the following weeks, however, things took a turn for the worse as the two Glader boys who had teased Newt about his hair got worse; they laughed at him and insulted him worse than ever, pushing the limits. "Hey Rapunzel, let down your golden locks!" They would sing whenever he passed by, or imitate and over exaggerate the motion of him flipping his hair out of his face. The amount of times that you envisioned punching the pair of them in the mouth was startling, but you contained yourself as Newt gave the dejected sigh that became current occurrence. You looked over at him worriedly, and as he opened his mouth to speak, you cut him off curtly, "Don't you dare tell me not to worry." Newt simply shut his mouth before running his hand through his hair. Suddenly, you saw a flash of something that looked like disgust come across his face, but it vanished as suddenly as it came.

He looked deep in thought and you simply stepped closer, "Newt? What's wrong?" Newt quickly looked up, gave a weak smile and shook his head, "Nothing." You sighed, before going straight up to him and hugging him tightly to you. He was taken a bit by surprise, but he then hugged you back even tighter than you were hugging him, as though your hug was his life force. "Don't let them get to you," you whispered gently, rubbing circles into his back to comfort him, "Don't listen to them. You're not to change a thing just because two people don't like it. They're slintheads anyway, and my offer to beat the living klunk out of them still stands." Newt gave a weak chuckle as he rested his head on your shoulder, just holding you close and enjoying the feeling of having you in his arms. After a little while, Newt detached himself and cleared his throat, "It's getting late. I should probably go do the duty round before dinner." You blushed bright pink and nodded, "Right. See you at dinner?" Newt nodded solemnly, before spinning on his heels and walking away from you.