Chapter 12: Right or Wrong?

We walked solemnly down to the office, ready to begin another trial.

"Welcome to the trial of IBallisticSquid! Present your evidence so we can get on to the execution!" EM chirped.

"Well, I say it's pretty obvious who did it." Dan said.

"Who?" Sky asked.

"You."

"ME? Why would I kill him?"

"Your wife and kid were being threatened, not to mention your hatred of squids. Plus, your weapon was found at the scene THROUGH his stomach!" Dan pointed out.

"We all established that our friends and family would never be stupid enough to come here! Plus, me and Squid were cool! We even teamed up against Pat and Jen in doubles Donkey Kong!" Sky defended himself.

As they argued, I pulled up Squid's profile. What I saw shocked me.

"Guys!"

"What is it Ash?" Stamps asked me.

"Well, who else noticed the lack of  extreme amounts of blood, not to mention his peaceful expression, as though he was killed in his sleep." I painfully remembered Squid's body.

"I did notice that now that you mention it." Aph agreed. A few others added that they noticed it too.

"Well, what does that have to do with it?" Jordan asked.

"If he die by a sword, one, he would have woken up in pain, even if the killer put it in the right place, and two, there would be a LOT more blood, like with Barney. Barneys friends flinched. "But if he was dead before he was stabbed, blood doesn't flow  when someone is dead, so there would be less of it if the wound was post-mortom."

"So you say the sword didn't kill him?" Pat asked.

"Exactly. Not to mention the cause of death here says 'poison', not 'stabbing'." I showed them the tablet.

"So, that means it was Ross or Stampy!" Dan said.

"W-What!? I would n-never!" Ross stuttered.

"Why would I kill my best friend?" Stampy was close to tears.

"Dr. Earl would! And that's exactly what you want us to think, Stampy!" Jordan added.

"It was neither of them." I said.

"And what makes you so sure?" Pat asked.

"I found this attached to the sword hilt." I held up the black fabric.

"So it was either a double framing, or Sky was trying to throw us off the tracks but eliminating himself first." Dan said.

"It wasn't me!"  Sky yelled.

"Dan, you've been very accusatory this trial." Mitch pointed out.

"What? No I haven't!"

"Yes, you have. You pointed to Sky almost immediately and are basing your accusations off some circumstantial evidence." Jin said.

"Well, it looked like it was him!" Dan yelled.

"Dan, show us your shirt sleeve." Jerome said calmly.

"I don't have to-"

"Just do it." Max sighed.

Dan hesitantly showed us his shirt  sleeves, one being torn.

"But why? And how?" I asked, tears stinging my eyes.

"Well..."

*Flashback-Dan's POV*

I was walking round since I couldn't sleep. I was still unsure whether it was actually Jemma, the pugs, Grim, and Trayaurus in the rooms. I walked down to the dining area, maybe to help keep the others awake, only to find them asleep already.

As I stepped into the room, my TV turned on, showing Jemma and Trayaurus writing 'Save us' on the wall in some paint that seemed to have been left in the room. I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes. There was no doubt in my mind it was actually them, and I had to save them.

I carefully snuck to the other side of the room, grabbing both the golden sword and syringe, a plan formulating in my mind.

I snuck back out and down the hall, knowing my target. Luckily for me, he forgot to lock his door. I didn't like how easy this was.

I walked carefully over, looked at Squid's sleeping face. 

"I'm sorry." I mouthed as I carefully stuck the needle in his arm and pressed the plunger. He stopped breathing. 

To throw people off my tracks, I plunged the sword through his stomach, tears now falling down my face. I mumbled a last "Sorry." before walking back to my room. I sat in the bathroom and cried. I had just killed someone.

I looked at the time. Ten minutes to my shift. I sighed and cleaned myself up. Then I walked down to the dining room with Aph and Stampy, guilt pricking at the back of my mind. I watched them scramble, helped them look from room to room, watched Ash pass out, even helped investigate. They never even found the syringe in my bathroom. 

Who knew my downfall would be a shirt and a guilty mind eager to pass off the blame?

*Flashback over-back to Ash's POV*

"Well, I hate to  say it,  but I lied! Those weren't real people! They were holograms! Oh you should see your faces!" EM looked at us as we sat shocked. "Anyways, Dan was the killer! Now, execution time!"

Dan's face fell as he was grabbed by the metal arm, whether it be from a loss of hope or just plain despair, I'll never know.