Chapter twenty one: The plan begins

Today Luke and I are going out on the streets of New York for our 'date' to prove that Luke is not in love with death. However things have already started to avoid the plan we'd set.
"I just think that today isn't a good day Raven" Luke moans, browsing through the programs on his Tv.

"I don't want to rush you or anything but thousands of blood sucking vampires are trying to hunt you down and you feel like today isn't a good day to save your life?" I ask, sarcastically to emphasise the reason why I agreed to be mortal for all of this.

"Well have you even taken a look outside? It's pouring with rain. We will probably catch a cold from that weather" Luke says, gesturing to the constant fall of clear raindrops, sliding down the murky glass window.

"I don't know if you've forgotten or anything but as a reaper, I spent most of my time in London and guess what, the weather I experienced was mostly rain so grow up and grab your umbrella!" I announce, walking towards the wooden door.

"How could I forget, that posh accent of yours is so thick it's impossible to forget" Luke growls, slowly getting up and grabbing his blue umbrella from the side of the room.

"I'm not posh" I say grimly as I glare at him.

"You are Raven, as a princess you grew up in a royal environment. That's also a nice way of saying you're a posh snob"'Luke says, snickering at his own comment.

"I suggest you hold your tongue unless you want Bloodbrook to think you are in love with me?" I state, daring him to detest me. He opens his mouth to speak but no words come out, instead he walks out the door in a huff in defeat. I smile as I follow after him knowing that even as a mortal, I was still better than him.
The rain clouds up ahead seemed to release tears after tears of water down onto the streets of New York. The lights emitting off the various adverts was our only source of brightness throughout the dull streets. Due to me now being a mortal, I couldn't sense any supernatural presences anymore so if a vampire was near us, I couldn't detect them. Instead I came up with an alternative idea. I got Leo to follow closely behind and text Luke if any vampires were near. I'm smart I know.

"So if we're like 'dating' should we hold hands?" Luke suggests, slightly turning pink at the cheeks.

"I suppose so. If that's what lovers do I've never really experienced the emotion much so I have no clue" I say, grabbing hold of his warm hand. He wrapped it around my smaller hand and soon we began walking side by side, hand in hand down the streets.

"What's it like to not experience any emotion other than anger? Is it like impossible for a reaper to love?" Luke asks, confused at a reapers biology.

"Well, it's not impossible otherwise I wouldn't be here right now. Back in the early centuries, reapers experienced every emotion possible. The rules weren't so strict back then. Once mother left my father, the rules immediately changed. Reapers were taught how to block all emotions apart from anger out of their minds. Reapers were told loving someone can be very dangerous however it is not illegal it is just very unlikely. No one wants to feel the heartbreak my father felt the day mother left. We never speak her name to this day" I say, flashbacks of my childhood suddenly come flooding back to me. Shivering at the thought, I fasten our pace down the pathway, hoping to get these memories out of my mind.

"Wow. I never thought a God could have such a tough life" Luke says, looking down at the floor.

"Well technically I'm not a God" I say, turning down a side street.

"Aren't you? But you're the daughter of death right? Deaths a god isn't he?" Luke remarks confused.

"Yes he is a God however mother wasn't. Due to her being an mortal, it led to her children becoming Demi Gods. This allowed us to have a free soul and alternatively become more powerful. However I do not wish to have a free soul. I must follow my duty like any other reaper and I am expected to follow deadlines" I say, realising that perhaps I don't have as much freedom as I would've liked. Luke stops walking, causing me to come to a halt.

"The underworld has some strict rules huh?" Luke says, his eyes full of sympathy as he looks into my eyes.

"I'll manage" I say, trying to let a small smile creep onto my face.

"You shouldn't have to manage Raven. You should be allowed to do what you want! Your brother told me that he abandoned his duty to be with the one that he loved. Yet you seem to deny your feelings for the one you love" Luke says, all of a sudden becoming very serious.

"I don't love anyone so I don't have to deny anything" I announce, confused at what the immortal is suggesting.

"If that's true then why are you here. Why are you protecting me Raven?" Luke asks me softly. It's true, I don't really know why I'm helping him. My heart just told me I had to do it so I did.

"Are you suggesting I love you Luke?" I ask, looking into his soft blue eyes as he looks down at me with adoration.

"I'm not suggesting it" Luke says simply.

"You're not?" I ask, confused.

"I'm not, because Raven if you didn't love me you wouldn't let me do this" Luke says and after those words, he pulls me close into his chest and I feel the touch of his soft lips on mine. He was kissing me. The worst part of all was that I was kissing him back. Is it true? Do I love Luke?