Chapter thirty eight: secret of a reaper

"Raven you can't kill the child!" Styx beams at me. Rolling my eyes, I turn to face him.

"And what happens if this child does possess potential reaper powers. Would you risk the world finding out about us?" I say through gritted teeth.

"The world practically already knows about us" Hypnos says, an amused grin plastered on his face.

"The humans don't" Hermes says, tilting his head to the side.

"Who cares about the humans anyway?" Hypnos says through gritted teeth.

He has a bad past with humans. I wouldn't blame him, he did suffer.

"So you think humans aren't important?" Father says, standing up from his seat. He walks over to us and stares his brother in his deep blue eyes.

"Why would they be? Nothing they have ever done is good" Hypnos says, rolling his eyes.
Fathers garnet eyes light up as he speaks.

"The circle of life wouldn't work without humans. We wouldn't be here without humans. The whole existence of our beings is because of humans" father beams, daring his brother to deny all he said.
Hypnos looks to the side, avoiding eye contact.

"So long story short. You're allowing Raven to kill your grandchild?" Hermes says, interrupting the conversation. Father turns to the God with a stern gaze.

"If my daughter deems it is the right choice then I value her opinion" father says. He grabs his silver scythe and leaves the room leaving everyone speechless.

My father values my opinion. He trusts me. I wish I could say the same about him. But right now, I just can't. He's hidden possibly the most valuable piece of information in my entire existence. Dark magic isn't an easy thing to pass off. People believe that reapers are created from dark magic but that isn't true. However, Demi gods are deemed unnatural and weren't accepted for quite a while. It all changed once me and Blake were discovered. Some people still hold a grudge but that's mainly because they are jealous of the power Demi Gods possess.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I turn to Hermes.

"Take me to my nephew" I say in a demanding tone. Hermes looks up at me with his sky blue eyes and nods. With a click of his fingers, we arrive outside of a small flat somewhere in America.
Hermes motions towards the musky glass window so I peep inside.

There in front of me is a dark haired two year old with sky blue eyes sitting on a rug. He looks very similar to my brother. Watching him closely, I notice a strange birthmark on his forearm. The birthmark was similar to a fork that is placed upside down. I know all too well what the symbol represents. It's a death rune. What on earth is it doing on a child?

A door creeks open as the child's mother walks into the room. Her blonde tresses cascade down to her waist. She looks at her son through her sky blue eyes. Effortlessly she picks him up and balances him on her hip. For a moment, the child turns towards the window. The child's eyes connected with mine. Could he see me? Is that even possible if I have masked myself with an invisibility spell?

Following soon after the mother is non other than the Demi God himself. My infamous brother. He walks up to the blonde and looks at his son. His eyes are purely focused on the death rune on his arm.

"If anyone finds out about this, Edwards safety will be put in jeopardy. Especially if my sister finds out" Blake says to the blonde named Sarah.

The woman sighs as she looks at her son with a sorrowful look.
"What do you suggest we do?"

"We let him live among normal mortals of course. However, there is one condition"

"And that is?"

"We separate him from us"

"No you're not taking away my son!" Sarah practically screams, cradling the small child in her embrace.

"Sarah you know I wouldn't suggest it if we didn't have a choice. Raven already knows the child exists. She could be setting out to find us right now!"

"Perhaps if we talk to Raven-"

"Absolutely not. If she finds out what Edward really is. She won't hesitate to kill him"

Once he says this, I peer closely at the child. What is he? Could he posses the power of a reaper?

"You don't know for sure though" Sarah mutters under her breath, turning her back to Blake.
Blake places his hands on her shoulders and leans in close to her.

"I know my sister very well. She's stronger than anyone I've ever known. But there's a way to corrupt her. She's falling in love like I did with you"

"Yes but a few weeks ago you never returned"

"I was under a spell. Raven broke it"

"See your sister is good-"
Blake lets out a low chuckle after those words.

"You don't understand Raven if you relate her to the word good"

I lean against the glass, wanting to intervene but a hand on my shoulder stops me. Hermes looks at me with a doubtful expression.

"Raven if you kill that child, Blake will start his own war with you"

"I must know what he is" I say through gritted teeth.

"Then allow me to escort you there. Once Sarah has left you can confront your brother but I must be by your side. Otherwise you will do something you will regret"

Reluctantly I agree to Hermes' orders and wait for Sarah to leave.
Half an hour later, she leaves to put the child to bed, allowing me to confront my brother.
I appear behind him and let out a small cough. Hermes is stuck to me like glue from this point on.
Blake turns on his heels and aims his obsidian scythe at me. I push it to the side. He hasn't got the power to defeat me anyway.

"What is he" I finally manage to say, watching the fire in his cerise eyes grow.

"Leave Raven" Blake says. However, I stay where I am. I'm not leaving until I find out what that child is. If it even can be called a child that is. I will not allow any threat to our existence to live. Even if the threat may be my own flesh and blood.