Chapter fifty one: witches don't forget

Harriet POV
*before the kidnapping*

"Do you understand the plan Harriet?" My father practically screams at me.

"Yes yes, disguise myself as a babysitter and look after Blake's child. I'm not stupid dad!" I beam, folding my arms over my chest.

"Now that is debatable. What potential does Crowe even see in you? All I see is a speck of dirt" dad sneers at me.

"Then why did you choose me if you see nothing? Why did you choose me dad? Or should I say Rayne" I say, slumping down into my chair.

"Harriet I didn't choose to adopt you for fun. I chose you for business. You're a witch Harriet, and I needed a witch on my side" dad justifies as he glares at me. I roll my eyes and look away.

"And don't forget to drink that potion. That way Blake won't recognise you"

"At least Crowe sees something. She calls me the daughter she never had" I spurt out in anger.

"And you know why Crowe never had a daughter? Because she ran away from her for me and she would do the same to you in a heartbeat" Dad announces, straightening himself up.

"If she ran away from her, why is she suddenly running back to them" I fire back, looking towards the ground.

"Since you never had a parental figure, allow me to get this into that tiny little brain of yours. It's a use or be used world Harriet, you'd best remember that" he says as he clicks his fingers and vanishes into thin air.

Huffing, I grab the potion and chug it down in one gulp. Next, I flip though my spell book and look for a stranger spell.

"Hair once as brown as mud now become as gold as light" I announce, watching my brown curls transform into golden ones.

Now what shall me alias be? I can't stick to Harriet, Blake might figure out who I am. Maybe Olivia? No, what about Emma? No that doesn't sound right. I know, plain Jane! That's perfect, with a name like that he won't suspect a thing.

Looking in the mirror, I smile at the appearance before me. But then my smile shatters, I like this appearance better than my own. Is it bad that I want to look like this? Blonde and beautiful? A whole new person means a whole new personality, a whole new start! I could have a new life, away from Rayne.

But then, Crowe would be disappointed in me. I don't want to disappoint the only person who's ever believed in me.

Sighing, I close my spell book and grab my phone. Rayne messaged me the address to where I was heading.

You can do this Harriet, or should I say Jane. You can do this.

Ring..

Ring ring..

Sliding my phone out of my pocket, an unknown number flashes on the screen. Quickly, I whip the phone to my ear and answer it eagerly.

"Hello this is-"

"Is this the babysitter? You were supposed to be here an hour ago and my eddies getting restless!"

I knew who that booming voice belonged to straight away.

"Oh is this Mr..."
I hesitate. What's his last name? If i say Reaper I'm pretty sure my cover will be blown.

"D-Dawson. This is Mr Dawson. Now are you going to do your job? Or am I gonna have to complain to your boss" Blake beams down the phone.

"Don't worry sir, I'm around the corner" I say, slyly smirking.

"You better be here in five minutes. I have somewhere to be!" He screams down the phone, hanging up on me.

Don't you just love a traditional reaper greeting?

Time to visit the abomination that is Blake's son I suppose. Clicking my fingers, I arrive exactly a block away from his apartment. Being a witch has its perks after all.

Soon, the door to his home grows closer in my sight and I find myself knocking on its white wooden surface.

As soon as I knock, the door flings open and an angry Blake pulls me inside. He quickly stuffs the child in my arms and storms out the door yelling;

"I'll be back at midnight", flinging the door to a close right after him.

I look down at the devil child in my arms. This is a lot easier than I thought. At least, I thought it would be until the child started making a fuss.

"Hush hush, auntie Harriet is here now shhh, let me take you on a ride! Doesn't that sound fun?" I say in the worst baby voice ever. The child looks at my quizzically before pounding both of his chubby hands together in awe.

With Edward in his little trance, I wave my free hand in the air, teleporting him and I back to my fathers dwelling.

Eagerly, I run up to him, hoisting the child up on my hip.
"Father look, I got him! Wasn't that easy!" I say, holding the child up as a trophy.

Rayne takes one look at me and sneers.
"Keep the child silent, and take that stupid glamour off your face, you look even worse than you did before"

And with a puff of green smoke, he had disappeared to go and fetch Crowe's offspring.
I look down at Edward with a tear in my eye.

"I hope your father will never treat you like that" I say, sniffling at the words my own father had said to me.

The child looks at me in confusion, and then all of a sudden he began to giggle. I look at him strangely. What on earth could he find so funny? Why the sudden outburst of laughter?

Edward began to open and close his little chubby fists, turning to me with an almost evil glint in his eyes. I notice the black leather gloves covering his hands. He began fussing so I merely take them off. The poor child clearly didn't like them.

"Awh, are you hungry Eddie?" I say, bouncing him on my hip. But the child remained silent.

Tilting my head to the side, I look at him with confusion.

"What's wrong hon? Homesick or something?"

But that's when he does something strange. His irises began to darken, and he started to reach out for me. His skin touches my skin.

All of a sudden I feel a strange chill crawl up my spine. I now feel dizzy and sleepy...

That's when everything turns black, the last sound I hear...

Was a child's benevolent laughter echoing around the room.