Chapter 5

Sorry for the long wait. I've been busy but here it is- Chapter 5

*****************

A week had passed, and Hecate remained at home, getting rest and recovering from her injuries. She hadn't seen the strange-faced boy since the attack in her bedroom, and she was glad of it too, because she needed time to recover, without having to strain herself further in self defense.

Thorn mostly kept her thoughts about the strange boy to herself. She wondered who he was, and why something about him felt so familiar. She had not met him before he began to bother Hecate, no. It was something else. Perhaps it was that freakish smile he had carved into his face. It reminded her of something.

Something she had seen or heard of before.

But she couldn't quite place her finger on it, so she decided to push the thoughts aside and let her mind rest, focusing on nursing Hecate back to health.

Hecate had spent most of the time she should've been resting reading and studying her spells as well as keeping up with her schoolwork. Following the events of the exam, she had been determined to not let this setback throw her off her course. She would complete her Witchcraft Syllabus in as little time as possible.

It was on a Sunday morning another week later that Thorn deemed Hecate healthy enough to return to school. Hecate wasn't bothered by this in the least. She didn't mind school. No one spoke to her there, but she enjoyed learning new things and had exceptional grades.

The next morning, Hecate awoke promptly at 5, and readied herself as she usually did on school mornings. She put on a black dress and a pair of sneakers along with her black coat and set out extra early on her journey to the town's small high school.

Hecate usually did this to avoid running into anyone from her school on the way there. On the rare occasions that it did happen, it was completely off putting. The students walking behind her would whisper and say harsh words, keeping a safe distance from the "heathen witch."

That was one thing that Hecate despised. Knowing that inside, she cared what people thought about her. She cared what they said about her. Not so much that she would try to blend in or change her character, but she cared enough to feel bothered by the fact that this whole town was against her, and that she had never truly had a friend.

Her frown deepened as she trudged to school, tormented by those voices of whether to feel or not to feel. It was the sound of footsteps and snow crunching behind her that brought her out of her internal conflict.

She spun around quickly to see who was there. She had half expected to see the man with the hideous smile and murderous eyes again, but instead she saw a short, teenaged girl, with fiery red hair and sparkly green eyes which were widened in fright. She was clutching a textbook to her chest and a black bag hung over her shoulder.

Hecate scoffed, and turned around with a scowl on her face. She was sure no one would be out here this early. There were still 2 hours until school started. Why would this girl be on her way there now?

The girl looked frightened, as people always did in her presence and Hecate felt a slight tug at her heart before quickly pulling herself back together.

"Uh... Hi." A feeble voice came from behind, causing Hecate's eyes to widen slightly. She knew it was the redhead who had said it, and as surprised as she was for a millisecond, she regained her composure and kept her coolness about her.

Hecate quickened her pace, ignoring the attempt of the naive girl to talk to her. Just as Hecate thought she had given up, she heard quickened footsteps and soon the girl was beside her, right in her line of vision.