Chapter 8

Here's another update. Enjoy :)
**********
She set out for school early the next morning as she usually did. Her eyes were heavy with exhaustion and her was body tired from lack of sleep. Hecate had spent the entire night memorizing spells and hexes from a leather bound journal which had once belonged to her guardian, Thorn. She was determined to take her studies to the next level, feeling that for someone of her age and capability, she was behind.

The morning was considerably warmer than the others that had passed throughout the harsh winter. The streets and sidewalks were covered in half melted snow, and the many trees surrounding the neighborhood had shed their icy blankets. The sun was shining and a faint warmth enveloped the young witch and she continued down the path that led to her school.

As she went along, she wondered whether or not she would see a certain redhead but quickly dismissed the thought, deciding that there were more important things to focus on.

As she neared the school building, she felt a familiar presence. It was faint, but there nonetheless. She shook her head, and quickened her pace towards the building.

He wouldn't try anything there, she thought. Not if he was smart.

As usual, she was the first one there. The hallways were empty and there was not a soul to be seen, save for a few janitors. As she walked down the hallways towards the usual classroom where she waited for school to begin, she couldn't help but notice the nervous, furtive glances of the janitors as they mopped the floors. She scoffed under her breath and continued her journey towards the safe haven where she would be able to study in peace.

As soon as her cold hand made contact with the doorknob of her usual classroom, a cheerful voice rang through the hallways, as crisp and clear as a warm summer day.

"Hello! I know I'm super early, but I hope you don't mind!" The voice sang, and Hecate listened to the chuckles of amusement from the janitors.

"Why, it's no problem Molly! It's always nice to have someone so cheerful and bright 'ere in the mornin'. But if ya don't mind me askin, why're ya here so early?" One of them inquired.

"Well, I was really excited to come back to school," she told them with a giggle. "But also... I was looking for a girl. I don't know her name, but she always comes really early. Truthfully, I was trying to catch her."

"A girl, eh?" Came the janitor's grim reply. "Well, lots of folks come in  'ere early, but... uh," he hesitated, and Hecate gritted her teeth, her hand still on the doorknob.

"Well," he continued, "I know of one girl who comes in earlier than the others, but I doubt she's the one yer lookin' for. She's the one with the jet black hair and she's super pale. Kinda shady too..."

"Shady?" Molly asked in surprise. Hecate could tell by her voice that she was genuinely confused as to why they were speaking badly of her. "From your description, I'd say she's the one I'm looking for!"

Hecate heard the clatter of a broom before the man spoke up in a louder voice. "Well why would ya be lookin' for her? Haven't you heard the stories? Lookin' for her is like lookin' for trouble. I don't know what she's told ya, but it's best if ya stay away from that girl, Molly. Yer such a sweet, delicate thing. You really shouldn't..."

"Well, I think I'm gonna get going, bye!" She cut him off rudely but cheerfully, and skipped down the hallway with thoughts and emotions whirring in her head. As she rounded the corner, she heard the faint click of a door closing but hadn't seen which one it was.

Curious, she decided to try all the doors along the hallway. She found that many of them were locked, and the ones which weren't had no one inside.