10.

It was early August now and the sting of reality inched closer and reached for our skin. The days and nights were bittersweet but sweet nonetheless. I sat at the counter watching him write. I could almost see his brain working, searching for words.

"Can we go out for a drink?" I laid my head in my arms and looked at him sideways.

He sat down the pen and took his glasses off.

"How do you suppose we do that my dear?" He tapped my nose with his fingertip.

"I've got a fake ID." I said sleepily.

"Too risky I think." He scrunched his face up.

"Maybe we can just...stop by a liquor store or something." I picked my head up.

"Why are you desperate for alcohol right now?" He giggled.

"I don't know.. it's August. I'm worried. I just wanna enjoy...this. You." I spoke slowly.

He sighed. "Ok. Ok. We'll swing by JJ's downtown."

"Yaaaaaay!" I jumped up from the table and pulled him out of the house, making him crack up.

   We headed out into the late night, disguise-less and free, welcomed by cool air that relieved us from the preciously hot day. To my surprise he held my hand proudly as we walked around town. There was a nervous feeling in my stomach and I realized it was because it felt like we were a real couple. I didn't want to get attached to that feeling because I knew it wasn't going to last. Nothing lasted when I was involved.

     I broke out of my thoughts when the bell on the door rang as we walked in. The girl behind the register was leaned against the counter with a magazine in her face. She glanced at us with a forgetful smile and then quickly continued to read. I pulled him through the aisles to the back where the ice cold beer was. I smirked and tugged on his collar. He bumped me up against the foggy fridge and began kissing all over my face.

       I bursted out laughing. "Its too cold! It's too cold!"

      Apparently I said quite loudly because he covered my mouth and held himself back from laughing.

    "C'mon! What do you want?" He pulled me away.

    I headed straight for the tequila. "The good stuff." I held the delicate bottle.

     "Whatever you want." He nodded and took it from me to the register.

     The girl gave us a look and rung us up.

     I grabbed the bagged alcohol off the counter and gave her a smile as Spence wrapped his arm around my neck as we walked out the door. We were laughing and kissing and talking a little too loud when I heard my name.

      My heart jumped out of my chest.

    "Ella?" The voice was clearer this time. Spencer's arm dropped.

     I looked a few feet in front of me at my dad standing viciously in front of us. The friends that he was with backed off and went into a bar.

    "What the hell is going on?" He looked at Spencer,  shaking from anger.

     "What do you think you're doing taking my 18 year old daughter to buy liquor?" He questioned.  Spencer was pale and his mouth hung open with nothing to say. He was in absolute shock and completely mortified.

   "And what the hell are you two seeing each other or something? You are a grown man Spencer. You are sick. Just sick." He growled.

    "Sir- I'm so sorry- I can completely explain-"

"Ella lets go." My dad snapped and grabbed my wrist yanking me with him. I began to feel terrified.

Spence looked at me with empty eyes, confused and ashamed and I could just feel his regret as he stared at me.