Chapter 3

ᝰ | ❝ deal

     The day after Jason introduced me as his girlfriend in the lobby, i head to the locker room from the penthouse. The second i open the door, everyone rushes towards me at once.

    "Cheli! What happened yesterday?!" Indya asks. "Why did you go to the IVC?"

    "There must be come mistake." Claire says angrily. "Theres no way you're Mr. McCann's girlfriend!"

    "No way!" The twins say.

    "Um, uh..." What should i do? I can't tell them the truth about the auction.

    "Cheli, are you actually from a wealthy family?" Indya asks, her mouth agape. "And you're working here to experience normal life or something?"

    "Don't be ridiculous," Claire laughs sarcastically. "Cheli doesn't have a well-bred bone in her body." she glares at me and i huff through my nose. "Tell us how you wound up with McCann!"

    "Um... I-I was working and it was love at first sight." I say, i know its a stupid explanation but what else was i suppose to come up with?

     Claire and the twins gasp. "Liar! As if Mr. McCann would fall for some normal girl like you! Whats the real reason?" she growls. Claire might be the one leading the interrogation, but everyone else clearly wants to hear the story as well.

     I'm completely surrounded in front of my locker, and just then, I hear someone clapping their hands together to capture everyone's attention. "Get to work, get to work!" Sheila orders. "We've got a lot of early check-ins today so we need to hurry!"

    "... Oh, thats right." Claire's face falls in disappointment. Everyone returns to their places at Sheila's insistence.

    "Cheli, you're cleaning with me today, right?" she asks and i nod. "Lets go."

    Was she trying to save me? Sheila and I head out to start cleaning the guest rooms.

    Sheila and i finish making the beds while we clean a guest's room. "Thanks for what you said back there, Sheila." I speak up, genuinely speaking.

    "Hm? Oh, sure." She laughs lightly. "I'll always help if you need anything."

    "But aren't you going to ask me why i was at the party?" I ask, hoping she won't ask.

    "Only if you want to talk about it. But you don't, right?"

    "Right..." I chuckle awkwardly.

    "Its not my style to pry information out of people," she smiles while shaking her head. "Can you hand me those flowers?" She points at the flowers that were next to the tv.

    "Oh, sure." I'm really grateful for Sheila's kindness. Just as were checking over the room, theres a knock on the door. It opens and Mr. Ramirez walks in. "Good morning, Mr. Ramirez."

    "Good morning." Sheila greets him as well.

     "Morning. I just wanted to let you know, the guests checking into this room today have an infant with them. So go ahead and bring up a crib and our baby gift set."

    "Of course." Sheila responds with a nod.

    "You might want to get a humidifier in here, too." He says while looking around the room. "The air feels rather dry in here from the air conditioning."

     "Okay. I'll get a humidifier." I volunteer.

    "And don't forget to include pamphlets on our baby-sitting services."