graduation

"Lucas Friar," Mr Matthews called Lucas up onto the stage to grab his high school diploma, and he gladly went up there.  Cory shook his hand and handed him the diploma, and then whispered something in his ear that made him laugh.  I looked back at Riley, who was watching Lucas with wide eyes.  They had been dating since freshman year, and I doubted that was ever going to change.  The only two people I had ever seen more in love then them was Cory and Topanga, and they weren't even fair to compare to.

I scanned the crowds while they called for my other classmates.  I saw my mom and Shawn, who had gotten married 3 years ago, with my little sister Annabelle. She was two years old, and although we were only half-siblings, I wouldn't ever consider here anything less than a sister.  She had Shawn's pale brown hair and my mom's eyes.  She was the cutest thing I had ever laid eyes on, and the best little sister I could've ever asked for.

I saw Shawn point me out to my mom and Annabelle, and Annabelle point to me and say, 'Yaya', since she couldn't completely say 'Maya'.  I saw Auggie, Ava and Topanga.  Amy and Alan were sitting right next to them, with a boy I could barely make out as someone I knew.

Josh. 

He must of been 20 or 21 by now, and he definitely looked like it.  He looked taller, and definitely more muscular.  I couldn't help but stare; he looked great.

"Maya Hart-Hunter," Cory called, snapping me out of my trance.  I walked up the narrow wooden steps to the stage and carefully made my way to him.

"Congratulations, Maya," Cory spoke, "I know you'll do great things in this world," Cory smiled at me and handed me my diploma.

"Thanks, Matthews," I grinned and walked off the stage; free at last. 

For next few minutes, I watched Riley, Farkle and Smackle graduate with Lucas and Zay, who were already done before me.  However, if we're being honest,  I had the least attention span to the ceremony.  I kept looking back and trying to find Josh and get a better look at him.  I had lost my feeling for him years ago; were they coming back? Did I ever really lose them?

"Peaches," Riley whispered to me after she had walked off the stage. 

I smiled, "Hey. Congrats," I said, pulling her into a hug.

"You too," She said back to me, "I can't believe it.  We did it."

"Yeah," I grinned, "we did."

Riley patted me on the back and then made her way over to Lucas, who embraced her in a hug.  I felt my eyes drift back over to the audience to see if I could find Josh again, but unfortunately, I was too short.  Out of the corner of my eye,  I found Farkle making his way to me.

"Little distracted, Maya?" He asked, snapping me out of my daze.

"Oh," I pushed my hair behind my ears, "no.  Just looking for someone."

Farkle smirked, "Josh?"

"How'd you know?"

"Lucky guess," Farkle responded.

I turned to face Farkle, "It's just...I spent so much time getting over him and now he's back and my feelings are too.  It's just complicated."

Farkle placed a hand on my shoulder, "If the universe wants you and Josh to be together, then it'll give you a sign."

"What textbook did you learn that from?" I asked Farkle over the loud roar of applause from the audience.

"None," Farkle smirked, "I just know," and with that, he walked away to greet Smackle from the stage.