the best worst day

"Maya," Riley said, placing a pillow under my head and a blanket on top of me as I laid on the couch, "you can't go to school today.  You're too sick." 

"No, Riles. I'm fine," I forced and smile.  I tried to sit up, but the pain in my stomach was unbearable.  I winced in pain and laid back down onto the couch. 

Riley shook her head and felt my forehead, "Peaches, you're burning up." 

I sighed and cuddled into the blanket, "I wish my Mom and Shawn were here." 

Riley grabbed her phone and began to punch in numbers, "I'll call them.  They'll be here soon." 

I grabbed the phone out of her hand, "No no.  Let them have a good time upstate.  They'll be home in a few days anyways.  I can stay here by myself for today.   It's nothing really." 

Riley was hesitant, "Are you sure?  I could stay home with you today.  My parents are working today, but I think they would understand.  I think-" 

I interrupted her, "Riles, it's fine.   I'm fine.  Besides, you've got your big french exam today.  You've been studying for weeks.  Plus Cheer practice.  I can take care of myself for a day.  It's only food poisoning."

Riley sighed,  "Fine.  But I'm calling and checking up on you all day.  My mom and dad have some dinner thing right after work so they won't be home till late tonight.   I can get Auggie to Dewey's for the night so we won't have to deal with him and I can be home by 7:00.  Are you sure about this?" 

I forced a laugh, but it came out as more of a cough, "It's fine, Riley.  Just go or you'll be late." 

"Okay," Riley finally agreed and kissed me on the cheek before exiting, "I'll see you soon.  Love ya." 

"Love you too," I responded weakly before drifting back off into sleep. 

---

I woke up in a start, and with an unappealing feeling in my stomach.  I covered my mouth and reached for the garbage besides me before throwing up into it.  I then felt a pair of hands holding my hair back.  A wave of chills spread throughout my body when I felt thumbs massage the back of my neck, and I turned my head to see the last person I wanted to see me like this.  Joshua Matthews.  

"Oh my gosh," I said, closing my eyes and pretending I didn't see him, "get out.  I don't want you to see me like this.  I'm so gross." 

Josh laughed and I felt him walk around me and kneel next to the couch besides me.  In his hand he held some paper towel and he used it to wipe off my mouth, "You're not gross, Maya.  Everyone gets sick sometimes." 

I sighed, "Why are you even here?"

Josh smiled, "Why do you think?  Riley called me of course.  She couldn't stand leaving you alone, and insisted you were too sick to be alone all day.  So I decided to skip today."

I groaned, "I told her I was fine.  And you shouldn't skip school for me.  You could get in trouble! You could miss an important test or lecture or..."

Josh shushed me, "This is like 10 times better then sitting in Calculus all day; trust me."  

I bit my lip to hide my smile, "Don't you have a girlfriend or something you'd rather be ditching class with?" 

Josh lips folded upwards and he shook his head, "Long game, remember?"

"Long game," I agreed.  Josh squeezed my hand before standing up and walking away. 

"Wait," I sat up, and instantly regretted it, "where are you going?" 

Josh turned around, "I'm just gonna get you something to eat and drink."