speak now

I curled up on the couch next to my small tabby cat, Amber, while finishing up some work for next weeks lesson plan for my students so I could finally have the rest of my Friday night off.  I scrolled through my emails for one old email from Cory, as he had wanted me to consider having our students collaborate.  I quickly gave up and just ended up typing in "Matthews" in the search bar, but I came across something else instead. 

Josh's wedding invitation.  

After our 3 year relationship had ended about a year ago,  Josh had quickly moved on and met some girl named Kelly.  After about 7 months of dating, Josh had popped the question and they were to be wed on...well, I wasn't quite sure when.  After getting the email, I had never actually read it enough or followed up on it enough to even know when the date was.  I had quickly driven over to Riley and Lucas's place and cried to Riley while eating chocolate ice cream and watching sappy chick flicks.  

---

"I'm so stupid," I cried, wiping my eyes with the blanket Riley had given me, "Did I really think he would just move on from what I did? No. I broke his heart, Riley." 

"Maya, you can't blame yourself for this," Riley tried to assure me, "You just weren't ready for such a commitment.  He knew about your issues with your dad and Brandon-"

I laughed through my tears, "I dated Brandon in HIGH SCHOOL, Riley.  I was over him by the time I was 18, and Josh and I started dating when I was 19.  And my dad?  Josh isn't Kermit.  He wouldn't have ran.  I don't know even know why I said no...I love Josh!  We dated for 3 years! Of course I want to spend my life with him. I fucked everything up." 

"Maya-" 

"I'm the one who left, Riley!" I exclaimed, pausing for a few moments, "I'm just like my father." 

"You are not like Kermit.  You are so much more, Maya, and I promise you that you will find someone just as great as Josh...someone better than Josh for you," Riley said, rubbing my shoulder.  

"Thanks, Riles," I sniffled.   

"Besides," Riley started, "Who gets married after 7 months of dating?  My guess is that she's pregnant." 

"That doesn't make in any better, Riles," I said, frowning.  

"Sorry," Riley apologized quickly, "You'll find someone someday, Peaches.  I know you will." 

"Someday," I said softly, remembering all the memories that were connected to that word and drifting off to sleep.  

---

I clicked on the email of the invitation and read the date attached-  May 14th.  I gasped and looked at the calendar before realizing that was tomorrow! My eyes scanned down the rest of the invitation where I found the time (2:00pm) and the address (A church a few blocks from my apartment).  

"No, Maya," I said to myself, "You cannot go to Josh's wedding, are you crazy?" I shook my head at the idea at closed my computer.  Josh obviously didn't love me anymore, so it pointless of me to keep hanging on the idea of him, right? 

"Well," I mumbled to the cat beside me, "It has been a little while since I saw Cory and Topanga...and I wonder how Auggie is doing.  I wonder how things are going with Ava."  

I quickly closed my computer and hopped off the couch to find something to wear.  

--- 

After making it quietly into the wedding, I slipped behind the curtains and pulled out my phone to check the time.   It read 2:10.  The wedding was supposed to start ten minutes ago! I leaned against the wall and stared up at the ceiling, occasionally smoothing out the wrinkles on my short, floral and black dress.  I tucked my loose hairs behind my ears, as some of my hair fell out from my loose bun on the way in, since it was a windy and cold March day.