please don't stop playing

M A Y A

"Maya," Riley complained, shaking me off her bed, "it's almost time to go." 

"To what?" I groaned, rubbing me eyes.  I checked the clock, it was 7:00 at night.  I had went to bed 2 hours ago out of exhaustion.  Riley and I had been helping set up my 18th birthday party all day and at this point; I didn't even wanna go.

"Your birthday party," Riley said, hitting me with a pillow.

I groaned, "Ow." I looked up to see Riley standing above me with her hands on her hips.  She was dressed and ready to go, with makeup on and everything, while I was wearing an oversized tee-shirt and men's boxers from old navy.

"Let's go," Riley yelled, pulling me out of bed.  Riley sat me on the love seat at the edge of her bed and stared me down.  "Where's that dress we bought earlier?"  Riley asked.  I shrugged and she groaned in frustration.  "I'm gonna check the closet, and don't you dare climb back into that bed."

"Okay," I mumbled, and once she was out of sight in the closet, I started to climb back into bed.

"Maya Penelope Hart," Riley shouted from the closet, "get your ass out of that bed and brush your hair or do something." 

I climbed back out of bed and made my way over to the vanity.  I started to brush my hair and start doing my foundation and concealer, when Riley came out of the closet holding my short, black dress.  Riley convinced me to try it on at the store and then later some how managed to convince me I looked totally hot in it. 

I slipped on the dress and then Riley sat me down at her vanity to do my hair and makeup.  When she was done,  I had to admit, I looked good.  Not as good as her, but good. "You look beautiful," Riley said, admiring her work.  My long, blonde hair fell into curls over my shoulders, and my eyes were complimented by natural colored eye shadow. 

"Thanks," I smiled, "do you think Josh will like it?"

Riley bit her lip, "Peaches, you do know Josh has a girlfriend right?"

"Yeah," I replied, pursing my lips.  He's had one for about 5 months now.  Her name is Kelsey.  Blonde hair, blue eyes, short.  She's also your basic bitch.  I mean, I'm a bitch too, but not a basic bitch.  She drinks expensive coffee every morning, she's tan, she's a personal trainer, and her Daddy is shit rich.  She's worth a lot more than me,  but I thought Josh was still in it for the long game.

"Maya," Riley placed her hands on my shoulders, "you have to stay away from things that aren't yours."

"I know," I replied, "but Josh is playing the long game."

Riley gave me a sad smile,  "Maybe he doesn't wanna play anymore," She pursed her lips.  

"This isn't a fair game," I frowned, and tried not to let tears fall and wreck my makeup. I waited so many years for him, not bothering to date anyone else, yet he still goes and fucks every girl he sees.  How is that fair?  The long game isn't fair. 

Riley pulled me into a hug, "Life isn't fair, peaches.  But if we don't go now, you're gonna be late to your party."

"Okay," I agreed and we slide out the bay window together and made our way to Topanga's.

---

"Happy birthday," Everyone yelled when Riley and I had made our entrance into Topanga's.  It wasn't a surprise party, but we were 20 minutes late, and everyone was already there.  It wasn't too big of a party; just the gang, my mother and Shawn,  the Matthews, and some other friends from school.