our first christmas

"Come on, Maya," I said, slipping on my coat, "If we don't leave now we're gonna miss our bus and be late to dinner."

"Um, Josh?" Maya said uneasily and she walked out of my bedroom, "There seems to be a bit of a problem." She held her phone in her hand and seemed to be reading something on the screen, "Our bus was just cancelled.  Apparently the roads are too bad."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I groaned, looking over her shoulder at her phone screen.  Sure enough, bus 46 had been cancelled due to road conditions, "Dammit."

"Hey," Maya said, rubbing my shoulder, "It's okay.  We can have our own mini Christmas here."

"But this is our first Christmas together and I wanted it to be extra special," I said,  walking into the kitchen and grabbing a soda from the fridge.

Maya walked towards me, "Josh, we've spent Christmas together every year for as long as I can remember."

"Yeah but," I sighed and Maya took my hands in her's, "This is our first Christmas together as a couple and I wanted us to finally be able to act like a couple in front of everyone and..."

Maya stopped my rambling by placing a kiss on my lips, then smiled as she pulled away, "We are going to have the best Christmas ever tonight.  And don't forget it's only Christmas Eve; we always have tomorrow if the roads get better."

"Okay then, Hart.  How are we gonna make this the best Christmas ever?" I questioned, pulling her closer to me. 

"Well first we'll need a Christmas tree," Maya started, "And obviously ornaments.  We'll need a big Christmas dinner, and presents.  And..."

I chuckled, "And how are we supposed to get all those things?"

Maya placed a quick kiss on my cheek, "Well, we're just going to have to find them."  She laughed and made her way into the living room, "First, let's find a tree."

And so that was when Maya and I went door to door in my apartment building looking for a Christmas tree.  Sadly, we had no luck, but that didn't stop Maya.  The next thing I knew she was walking out of my bedroom holding a house plant that was almost the size of her. 

"Maya," I laughed, "What are you doing?"  The house plant looked pathetic.   It was in a white vase, had a stem that went up about 4 feet before turning into a little circle shrub. 

"This is our tree," Maya announced, placing it on the coffee table, "And now we need ornaments."

"We don't have..."

"I have an idea!!" Maya yelled and ran into my bedroom then came out with the box of jewelry she kept for "emergencies."  She pulled out a handful of earrings and started sticking them into the tree.  I sighed and began to start placing them on the tree with her. 

Once the tree was as decorated as it was gonna get,  Maya stood up and pulled me up with her, "And now we need a Christmas dinner."  She pulled me toward the fridge and we began digging through it for something to eat.  We were both horrible cooks, so the fridge was stocked only with lunch meats and microwavable meals.  "This looks good," Maya said, pulling out two microwavable chinese-stirfry meals. I shrugged and she threw them into the microwave. After they were finished, we took them and sat down on the couch.

"What's your favorite Christmas movie?" I asked her, taking a bite of my food.

"Elf," Maya blurted, "Duh."

"How could I forget?" I asked before surfing through demand to find the movie. Luckily, it was there, so I started up the movie as Maya curled into my chest. Maya recited all the lines while I laughed at her weirdness.