forty five

CRAIG'S POV

Dinner was the usual.

Mom complaining about her day, Dad comforting her and Ruby continually kicking me under the table for no goddamn reason.

"Craig the dance is coming up," My Mom says out of the blue and my head jolts up.

"What about it?" I say trying to keep my cool.

"Soooo," My Mom says, "Who are you taking? Annie?"

"Mom, we broke up a long time ago," I say.

"Oh," She says a little disappointed. I don't know why, Annie's a bitch, "So who are you taking?"

"Um," I say, "Someone."

"Real specific, Craig," My Dad chimes in.

"What if I don't want you guys to know," I question.

My parents look at each other confused, "Why wouldn't you want us to know, Craig?"

"It's nothing personal I just don't want you guys to know," I say.

"Is it like a surprise?" My Mom says.

"Oh it'll be surprising," I say under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing," I say.

Then it went silent for about a minute or so and my Mom just can't let it go, "Oh c'mon, Craig! We're your parents--"

"IT'S TWEEK ALRIGHT?!" I yell and forks drop immediately.

"...Tweek as in Tweek's sister? I never knew he had a sister--"

"No Dad, Tweek as in...well, Tweek," I say.

"Ooooooooh," Ruby says.

"You mean as friends? Craig, you aren't suppose to go with friends it's a date thing!" My Mom says.

They just don't fucking get it.

"Obviously I'm taking him as a date no one takes 'friends'," I say and my Mom covers her mouth.

It went silent again.

"Awkwardddd," Ruby says, "And to think I found him attractive and he likes my brother--"

"Ruby, why don't you go upstairs and let Mommy and Daddy talk to Craig alone," My Dad suggests and Ruby just shrugs and runs upstairs.

My parents just stared at me.

"Just say what homophobic slurs you're gonna say and we can get on with it," I say crossing my arms.

"You're...gay?" My Mom says.

"Bisexual," I correct.

"Same thing," My Dad says.

"No it isn't," I say, "If I were gay I would only find boys attractive and I don't, I find girls attractive too."

My Mom starts to bawl her eyes out while my Dad just looks pissed.

"This is a phase," My Dad says to my Mom hoping to get her to calm down, "No need to worry, hopefully we can get some counseling or something to straighten him out--"

"Counseling?! What kind of bullshit is that?" I say.

"Craig Tucker you watch your language right now," My Mom says.

"No! I'm fucking furious right now because you guys aren't accepting of what I am!"

"YOU'RE 14 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE YET?!" My Dad yells which makes my Mom cry even harder.

I can see Ruby peeking out from the stairs from the corner of my eye and she even looks terrified.

"I don't understand why you guys don't like it, you guys aren't even religious!" I say throwing my arms in the air.

My Mom finally wipes her tears, "It just isn't right, Craig! It just isn't."

"How do you fucking know?! Did God himself tell you that, 'Oh a man and a man cannot be together! That's forbidden!' No, I didn't think so," I say.

"Craig we have had it with your sass mouthing and profanity. You are grounded!"

I laugh, "I'm grounded for standing my ground? Oh, the irony."

I get up and get my plate and wash the dishes.

When I finish I start walking up the stairs and then I turn around, "Isn't your favorite show How I Met Your Mother, Mom?"

She turns around, "What about it?"

"Neil Patrick Harris is gay. He's sooooo gay. He's so gay that he even married a man and has two kids that they've adopted -- together!"

My Mom just stares at me and I smile.

"I'll be in my room when you need me," I say and walk up the stairs.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This is for people who have homophobes in their life.

I mean, they just don't get it they honestly don't.

Counseling can't change the way your heart feels so don't even try it.

It breaks my heart when people aren't accepting for who they truly are.

Are your parents or anyone you know aren't accepting of who you are?

-Brooke