Chapter 2

Leo's Pov

I locked myself in the engine room. I didn't want to see anyone. Not Piper, nor Jason, or Hazel and Frank (who I knew already disliked me so wasn't much of a blow but still hurt), or even Percy and Annabeth who stood up for me, probably out of pity.

It's not like I was going to die down here. I had a small bathroom, and one of those refilling plates and cups. I had a small nest of blankets, just for comfort as the room was warm enough. I could fix the ship from the sidelines like was expected. My death was something greater, I would go down, and take the earth mother with me, just like my mother, and then we could be reunited. Saving the world was an added bonus, though I didn't have much going for motivation at the moment. Save Percy and Annabeth, the rest can burn for all I care right now.

Startling me out of my thoughts, a sharp rapping upon the engine door. 

"Leo? It's me, Percy, and Annabeth, could we please come in?"

This was the third time this hour, twentieth time today. I don't think that they're giving up anytime soon.

I stand up with a sigh, and walk (stumble) to the door, and slowly undo the buckles and bolts upon the door. As I open it, a flood of fresh, cool air washes over me, and fills the room, expelling the stale, hot air in the room. Percy stands in front of me, a mop of messy black hair adorning his head, a small frown upon his face. Annabeth stands next to him, a golden halo of hair framing her face, and to my surprise, her grey eyes are red-rimmed and look at me with pity, like one might look at a wounded puppy. To my great surprise, she grabs me and pulls me into a bear hug, which Percy joins a second later, causing me to tense up before slowly relaxing. To my even greater surprise, she starts sobbing "I'm sorry" over and over into my once-white shirt, making it slightly dirtier.

"Annabeth, it's okay-"

"-no it's really not-"

"-I'll survive, I've been through worse-"

"-doesn't mean this should be happening-"

"-and anyway-"

"-you don't deserve this Leo. You are the last person who deserves this treatment. You've been through so much at such a young age, and you shouldn't have to deal with this now, not ever. You're important to me, and to Percy, Leo, you're like our little brother that we feel obligated to protect"

With those words I felt tears welling up in my eyes, and before I knew it, I was sobbing into Percy's shirt and Annabeth's golden hair. We must have stood there in that embrace for a good five minutes, before foot falls coming down the stairs and a head adorned with brown hair and feathers appeared around the corner, with multi-coloured eyes flashing.

"Leo? Can we talk?"

A/N

Eh, only 500 words. Sorry. I'll try to do better next time.