iv

saturday, february 11, 1967

     "you sinner! you disgrace! you- you... abomination! you will be punished castiel! oh, how could you? after everything we've done for you? I raised you better than this! how- how could you choose this?!

     you're going to rot in hell castiel! and God forbid what will happen if other's find out. you'll live through hell on earth only to suffer hell for an eternity! your best bet to make it is to die. accept your fate or change it! leave! get out of my house and never return unless you change who you are. you are not my son castiel. you're an abomination.  "

     the bed screeched as castiel shot up, his hair sticking to his forehead, and the sheets tangled about his legs. the bed was damp from the large amount of sweat he managed to accumulate during his night terror, a dark circle around the area he was laying. groaning in agony, he rises out of bed, knowing no amount of sleeping meds could lull him back to the sleeping state he was once so peacefully in.

     the white tee was soaked through, and his pants were somehow thrown askew to another part of the room. the wall clock read 1:27 pm, which meant he thankfully got around the eight hours of sleep a normal human being needed. it was too later in the day to go out and do anything, and none of his friends would be available since most would have had already made some type of plans. he could call his brother and check in on him, but only God knows whether or not he moved again.

     buried deep in his heart, castiel knew of one person who would never be too busy for him; therefore, in the end, he gave dean a call to arrange plans.

     "hello?" well this isn't dean.

     "uhm. I'm call- calling for dean. dean winchester," cas explained, praying this was the right number.

     on the other line, the man called for dean. "may I ask who's calling?"

     "it's- it's castiel."

     the phone went quiet. so quiet he heard static, worrying him that they may have hung up and he was sitting on an empty line like an idiot.

     suddenly, the phone was rustled around before dean's voice came forward, happily greeting cas.

     "what's up cas? is everything okay?"

     smiling slightly, he assured everything was "a-okay. I was just wondering if maybe you'd like to... uhm... you don't have to! but I was wondering if you'd enjoy spending time together. in a friendly manner that is! obviously. you- you don't have to. I understand if you don't. you probably don't. I'll be going no-"

    "jesus christ, shut up. I'd love to hang out," de interrupted.

     bewildered, castiel questioned how serious dean was. "a-are you being sarcastic or?"

     on the other end, dean was laughing as if there were no tomorrow, leaving cas to only imagine the man's wide spread smile, crinkled up nose, forehead creases, his-

     "no, I'm not being sarcastic. how about you drive down to my place? sammy should be leaving here soon enough anyhow."

     "I'd like that very much de."

     and with that, castiel sloppily scribbled down dean's address onto some yellow post it note, only to hang it up on the neat cork board her kept in his kitchen by the fridge. although he only had to wait thirty minutes before he could head out, those thirty minutes were the most antagonizingly painful thirty minutes he had ever experienced throughout his entire existence.

dean winchester lived in a small neighborhood, with no delta whores in sight. only rundown houses and a few out-of-place complexes. young teenagers sat on their porches, or outside their houses, talking amongst themselves while the small children found ways to make fun out of shoeboxes and stray dogs. most "high class" citizens would look down on this community, regarding it as grimy and uninhabitable for themselves; however, cas found the beauty in it all. walking down that cracked up sidewalk, he admired the children who were more lively than the rest, the teenagers who looked after them, pretending to be annoyed but smiling whenever their brother or sister ran off to go back to playing. it was the small things like this cas enjoyed. and it was the small things like this that shaped dean into who he was.

     the apartment building he lived in was nothing spectacular, and had barely any other tenets. it was simple, but had all proper working functions. well kept, but not overly decorated and gone over the top for. dean and sam lived on the fourth floor, which cas- being the never tiresome walker he is- took the stairs to reach. their door was towards the end of the hall, number 228, and had a left over, slowly dying reef strung on it. cas knocked softly, afraid he'd disturb anyone whom lived on that specific floor.

     minutes went by, causing anxiety to build in cas as he waited for an answer. yet again, he worked himself up over nothing, since dean took no more time to swing open the door and welcome cas into his small home.

     "sammy! this is cas. cas, this is my little brother, sammy," dean introduced the two. both smiled politely and shook hands with one another.

     "dean. uh.. he doesn't look very little," cas mumbled loud enough only for the two of them to hear. dean laughed lightly, resting his hand on the small of cas's back, slightly nudging him forward. without question, castiel went forward and began following dean who gave him a short tour of the place.

     there was a living room, a kitchen, two bedrooms, and one bathroom. simple space for a simple man. during the tour, dean opened his door to reveal the room. the walls were plain with a couple picture frames, a few shelves held stacked books, a desk in the corner sat unattended to, and a radio was softly playing something. simple room for a simple man.

     castiel hadn't known what he expected whenever he first came by. he thought it would be a quick show around the place, a nice offer for something to drink or eat, then most likely heading out. in the end, that's not at all what happened- well, except for the first two things. after those, cas assumed it was time for him to take his leave; therefore, he layered up his trench coat and scarves, only to be stopped by dean who insisted he'd stick around a bit longer.

   "and do what?" he asked curiously, unraveling the third wrapping of plaid scarf from his neck.

     "well, what do you think about bowling?" the mischievous sparkle in his eye made castiel quiver as all the possible, wrong outcomes flashed in his head. yet, despite the undying fear that screamed and reeked hell on him, cas found himself nodding with a half smile.

     "I'll beat your ass winchester."

    "in your dreams novak."