x

saturday evening, february 18, 1967

     when castiel got an excited phone call from dean, he was more than pleased to hear the other's voice filled with such joy as he explained what had happened with bobby; nevertheless, the warm feeling in his stomach, and the sudden high his mind was experiencing was ended abruptly when it hit him harder than a hundred bricks- bobby had requested to meet him.

     he felt as if it were too soon to be introduced to those considered family, especially since they had only been on one official date. but, the eagerness in the elder's voice and the picture of him leaned against his kitchen counter pouting at the phone captured in his mind had him droning out a 'fine'. dean could tell cas was anxious, almost as if he could read his mind.

     "hey. I know it seems soon. but think of all those times at tea talk we spent alone together, the night we went bowling, and last night. those all classify as dates to me," dean had said, succeeding in easing the anxiety welling up in cas's chest.

      therefore, on this saturday evening, castiel novak found himself clutching onto the calloused hand of dean winchester as they pulled into the driveway of a two story house in the middle of seemingly nowhere. once baby was parked behind a truck, the two sat for a moment, hand in hand as the winter weather began seeping into the car's exterior, a chill causing both to shudder slightly.

     kissing the top of his hand, dean mumbled against the skin, "you'll be fine. they'll love you." and with that, he left the car, walking around to help castiel out as well. then, escorting him up the porch and to the front door, de confidently knocked and squeezed their hands together in reassurance.

     a gruff voice was heard from the other side, shouting they'd get the door right as it was swung open to reveal an aging man cas had only seen around town before. he pulled dean into a tight bear hug, greeting him and then having his gaze linger to his companion.

     "you must be the one watching over this idjit! m'bobby. bobby singer. " he held a hand out graciously, smiling welcomingly and not sparing a second glance to cas and dean's entangled hands.

     the messy haired man slowly shook the other's, saying shyly, "ah- uhm- yes. that would be me. castiel. castiel novak."

     stepping aside, bobby let the duo in, slamming the door shut behind them and leading them into what seemed to be a study and/ or family room. sliding, wooden doors were pulled open to reveal a kitchen and inside, a brunette woman bustling around as she prepared dinner.

     "this here is the living room. that's the kitchen," bobby explained, gesturing to each room.

     the lady stopped pacing between fridge and oven, turning around and lighting up at the sight of dean. "get your butt over here, boy! let me see how much you've changed!" she exclaimed, waving de over and meeting him in the middle. the two hugged for a long moment, and when they pulled back she examined his face in the way a mother would whenever her son came visiting from college.

     thankfully, dean turned back to his date, who was becoming quite uncomfortable. "cas! this is ellen, bobby's wife. ellen, castiel novak. "

     she walked over to him next, examining him closely, worrying him. what if she doesn't like me? oh my heavenly father, what if she wasn't aware of dean's sexuality?! the negative thoughts that listed every possible outcome repeated in castiel's mind until ellen unexpectedly pulled him into an embrace.

     "dean wasn't kidding. you sure are easy on the eyes!" she commented while she pulled away from the confused, blue eyed man. his head tilted sideways, eyebrow raising at the blushing, older winchester who watched from behind.