xvi

tuesday evening, july 04, 1967

   the neighborhood was exhilarated, fireworks going off in the street as radios filled the remaining silence. children screamed and played with delight, parents prayed and kept those lost at war in their heart. it had been two days since castiel last saw dean; therefore, he sat lonesomely in his home, recoiling with each explosive noise which reminded him of the war he or his love may be pulled into without consent.

when the winchester had not returned the night prior, cas worriedly called his brother whom assured him he was okay, but that he needed a little space. despite the fact sam was bitter with the man for hurting his big brother, he agreed to pass a message along to dean about how sorry he was and how he should come home at some point so they could talk this all through. dean never came home.

the turn table played the album loving you by elvis, desperately straining to overpower the outside noise. but no matter the level of the record's chords, or the booming fireworks and laughter of others, nothing could overpower the screaming of voices inside of castiel's head. anxiety had gnawed at his flesh to the bone, whispers obnoxiously filled his ears, and he- for those two days- believed he was a madman. m

"he'll come back, right bee? he has to..." he spoke to the cat as if she would reply, which she didn't for the record. instead, she lovingly nuzzled her head against his hand as if she were reassuring him. and although she couldn't speak, this gesture comforted cas greatly.

     thunder rumbled from afar, a sign of the usual storm showers in july that would frequently hit the town. bee instinctively curled up next to castiel and he instinctively began petting her back soothingly. she has always hated thunderstorms, while her owner awed over the destructive beauty of nature. dean hates storms like this.

     hours passed, the storm came and never went, and cas sat sadly on his couch typing away despite it being an ungodly time in the morning. he was in the editing stage of writing his book, retyping the few final drafts of pages he had, when the doorbell rang.

neighbors. maybe if i leave it alone, they'll leave. it rang once more. heavenly father, you let them borrow a jar of sugar once and they come to you for all their needs. again.

"I'm coming! give me a second!" slowly, he rose off of the couch, tossing his blankets and such to the side as he did so. he made his way to the door, grumbling like an aggravated old man about being disrupted. once the day was unbolted and the lock undone, cas swung the door open. and there, standing in the pouring rain with a motorcycle helmet in hand, was dean.

his dean tristian winchester.

neither said anything as the rain beat down, getting into the house due to it's angle. they stared into each other's eyes for a while, the contact thickening the atmosphere. suddenly, de's eyes flickered down, his hands shaking the helmet a little as he tried to make out the words to say.

when he looked up, castiel was studying him intently. "cas, I-"

"don't, dean," he hesitated," come in."

he obliged, shutting the door silently behind him. there was barely a second for the winchester to find his composure before his boyfriend jumped his bones, pushing him against the door and kissing him with passion that overpowered lust. the helmet crashed, the cat meowed in fright, but all the commotion fell on deaf ears as the two melted into each other.

"never, ever, leave again," cas mumbled against dean's neck.

"n-never again."

"on god?"

"what god?"

"oh, shut up."

a mess of heated hands and breathy kisses, the two tumbled their way through the house, leaving jackets and shirts in their paths. dean fumbled with the doorknob blindly until it clicked open, allowing them to clumsily fall through the threshold. they backed up till cas's legs hit the bed, only to collapse onto it and become a bigger mess amongst each other.

friction, movement, holding, open mouthed kisses and all, expressed the emotion no words could. with every touch and sound they made, it reminded them of the love and profound bond that always drove them back into each other's arms. the same one that always lead them home.

as cas clawed at dean's back, moaning into his shoulder hotly, dean mumbled back all the things there were about him to love.

"your eyes.

your lips.

your collarbones.

your thighs.

your stomach.

your scars and all, baby.

I'll always love 'em."

breathlessly, castiel whimpered and muttered, "say that again."

"what?"

"that you love me."

"I love you."

cas grunted. "again, please."

"I-I love you, castiel jimmy novak."

it lasted for what seemed like forever, yet still ended all too quickly. there they laid tiredly, wrapped up in each other's arms once more but in a much more purer way. one of de's hands ran cautiously over old scars, while cas's connected the freckles that made up constellations on the taller man's face.

in the midst of silence, the blue eyed man spoke up weakly," your freckles are the stars. when I'm lost, I look towards them and they guide me back to you. back home."

that made dean smile widely. "my mom called them the kisses of angels."

"that works too."

silence.

"dean?"

"hm?"

"did you mean it?"

"mean what?"

"that you loved me."

silence.

uncertain, fearful silence. it chilled castiel as his anxiety ran through scene after scene of his possible answers- all of which, were negative. he waited, growing melancholy as his thoughts ate away at him.

dean eventually sighed, failing to ease any worry.

"yeah, I did. I love you. like, love love."

silence.

cas kissed his shoulder tenderly.

"well, I love you too. like, love love."

a/n :

i'm back!! yo, this suCKED but oh whale i miss you all.