xx

sunday morning, october 29, 1967.

     it's been two months since dean left; two months since dean took everything he could, including castiel's heart, and left. despite the sudden disconnection, the winchester clan still kept in touch with him. bobby often checked in, ellen would even stop by to bring by meals she cooked or help clean up, ruby stayed dear to cas, and sam still wrote and called. last he heard, the youngest brother was actually doing technical work- fixing the equipment and such- rather than being on the field due to his sleeping condition.

     gabriel was still living with his brother, and they hadn't heard anything from their siblings since he notified them all of his location. he managed to find cas a part time job at an outskirt corner store that doesn't ask for specifics in their resumes. the two of them were doing just fine, other than the occasional mental breakdowns.

"so where are you going again?" cas questioned as he tied his brother's tie for him.

gabriel rolled his eyes for the hundredth time, sighing because he knew his little brother was only teasing him. "i'm going with kaliope. to church."

castile chuckled, finishing up the mastered knot before mumbling to himself, "the irony."

gabe laughed, shoving the other slightly at the comment. the two grew up in a religious household, yet when they both left home, they retreated from their ways. the pair believed in a god; however, their system of beliefs were far more twisted. with that, cas found it iconically ironic that his big brother was going back to church all because he had met a girl: but that was fine with him. he was happy for the duo who seemed head over heels for each other.

     "mass ends at noon, kali and i will catch lunch, and then i should be home around half past one. you'll be okay, right?"

     rolling his ocean depth eyes, cas nodded, shooing the other out the front door so he wouldn't be late.

     once he had the house all to himself, he sprawled out on the couch with his cuddly cat, not even watching tv or listening to the gossiping radio. he just laid there peacefully; laid there contently; laid there waiting.

     waiting for a lover he knew wouldn't return, for a best friend who was fighting a war the country shouldn't be in, for a brother who tried to mask his doubts to reveal his true thoughts, for a god to answer his prayers. and castiel waited... and waited... until he fell into a soundless sleep.

sunday night, october 29, 1967.

castiel stood impatiently behind the cash register of kwiki, tapping his fingers rhythmically as the lights dimmed and the rain outside beat on the small building. the quiet radio they played through makeshift speakers crackled, an unrecognizable song seeping its way in between the occasional cut offs and white noise. the corner store was in all ways odd; however, he couldn't complain considering he was allowed to be alone in the quietness he loved.

he liked being alone. he liked humming to himself, reading whatever he had on hand, listening to the music whenever he could hear it.

but when the rare customers came in, paired with someone on their arm, just passing through or drunkenly picking up more alcohol or snacks, castiel realized just how lonely it was to be alone.

     thankfully, on this non-eventful night, the overhead chime rung as someone walked into the store. castiel, who's nose was stuck in a book, paid no attention, allowing the customer to wander around themselves. a couple eerie minutes later, a bag of chips and some gum were thrown on the counter, waiting to be scanned and totaled.