xiv

friday night, march 31, 1967

it was nearing eleven, dean was practicing a few songs on the grand piano bobby kept around for his use mainly. effortlessly, his fingers glided, creating 'well tempered klavier' by bach, softly humming along to the main pitches. ellen listened intently from the couch, bobby worked on cleaning up that night's dinner, and sam sat beside him, following every movement of his hands with his eyes. it was moments like these that dean cherished most.
he was practicing due to the fact it's been a while, and he would love to surprise his angel- castiel- with his hidden talent. he had it all planned out in his head already. the date, would specifically be on their one month-versey, with a seemingly small lunch that anyone would expect, but then a beautiful little showed performed strictly for the pair. it would be perfect.
"hey princess! lover-boy's on the phone," bobby called out, pointing over his shoulder to the wall phone further in the kitchen.
confused and extremely worried as to why cas would call during his shift, dean stood from the bench and jogged impatiently to the phone that rested on the counter.
heart racing, he quickly bombarded his boyfriend with questions. "what's wrong? did something happen? why did you call? are you alright?"
"I... I- I was fir-fired de. naomi-mi gave m-me my red s-s-slip!"
and in that moment, nothing was okay, and dean's heart stopped beating.

it didn't take ten minutes for the impala to speed across town, skidding and running stop signs- in the safest way possible- in order to get to the tea shop. when baby was at the top of the street, cas was sitting pitifully at the base of a street sign, obviously crying his eyes out and pulling at his hair. stepping on the break, the car lurched forward, coming to an unsuspecting halt as dean rushed out and to the sad man.
kneeling beside him, he instinctively wrapped his arms around him roughly, holding him close and squeezing his eyes shut as he waited for cas to hug him back. it never happened.
"c'mon cas, please. hug me back. c'mon," dean whimpered, nuzzling his head desperately into his neck. sniffling and shaking, the smaller boy hesitantly returned the gesture, not as strong or needing, yet that didn't matter to him in the moment.
     he pet the back of castiel's head in a comforting way, allowing him to cry and practically fall apart in his arms. "shh. it's alright angel face. I'm right here. I always will be. let me bring you back over to uncle bobby's, yeah?"
     the puffy faced heap of wrecked emotions nodded weakly, following closely behind and entering the car's slightly warm environment. he breathed in deeply, taking in the scent of leather, seeped in whiskey, and slightly burned plastic. it brought some sense of calmness, yet nothing could stop the shakes of anxiety raking through his body.
     as dean drove, he grabbed hold of cas's hand, kissing it quickly before saying, "you know that plastic smell you pointed out around your fourth time of being in here?"
     titling his head in confusion, the now calming man nodded warily.
     "well," dean chuckled, "the uh- the smell comes from the vents because when I was younger... when I was younger I shoved some legos in there." (for the sake of the plot and cuteness, pretend the impala is an earlier model or something even though it's technically the newest one in this year.)
     finding it in him to smile slightly, cas asked if he was serious.
     "yeah. and uhm... in that astray," dean paused to point to the astray with their interlocked hands, "sammy crammed a little green army man in there."
     the two fell silent, the radio softly playing the beatles as they pulled into bobby's driveway which collected a few broken down vehicles. exiting the car, they made their way up to the porch and entered the home, not bothering to knock.
sam snorted from the open living room, mumbling, "thanks for the warning. totally wasn't ready to-"
"shoot first, ask questions later," dean finished smirking, guiding cas to the piano bench. they took a seat, de facing the instrument and cas the other way. he was pondering why they had even claimed the piano bench when there was enough room on the couch still.
     suddenly, a single, utterly simple c note rang throughout the room, making him whip around quickly to face the piano. without any hesitation after this reaction, the bow legged man placed a foot on a pedal and let his fingers take over. he didn't even glance at the keys, as he was lost in the expression on cas's face.
his eyes were wide, eyebrows furrowed slightly, mouth opening and closing as he was at a loss for words, and his head tilted to the side as his bright blue eyes followed every movement and his ears took in every note. dean couldn't help but smile, leaning over and kissing his cheek as the song came to an end. this caused him to sheepishly blush, automatically looking down to his hands as he messed with his fingers.
"I was gonna wait to show you. but, I figured it'd help lighten your mood. I can't handle seeing you sad baby," de said, running a hand through his sand colored hair as he blushed and glanced down.
cas smiled at that, kissing his cheek in return and saying, "thank you dean."
"feel special, boy. I ain't never seen dean show anyone else his secret talent," bobby pitched in, walking into the room with dirty hands and a cloth to wipe them with.
the eldest winchester grew pink, hissing his uncle's name while the younger winchester laughed and continuously teased him also. castiel couldn't help the smile growing on his face, despite the sadness weighing down his chest. he felt at home. whether it was because of the naturally joking atmosphere, or his lover, he didn't know. but he was glad he felt the way he did.

"dean," cas mumbled, turning to his side in his large bed. the two's chests brushed, both cuddled up under an abundant amount of blankets.
rather say anything in return, de tightened his grip around castiel's waist and hummed in response. when his companion hadn't said anything, he grew worried, reaching to the side table beside him and clicking on the small lamp. dim light made the surrounding area a bit more clear and he looked down to cas's tear stained face.
without any words exchanged, the two sat up, the blue eyed man finding his way into the freckle face's lap, sobbing into his chest as quietly as possible. dean sat there, allowing him to cry as he rocked them in small circles. it was seemingly forever until his breathing even, running out of tears, throat raw from the whimpering and such.
dean knew why his boyfriend was crying, but he didn't know why naomi fired him. hesitating, he thought through the pros and cons of asking as the got settled in bed once again. the lamp was shut off, cas laid his head and hand on de's chest, and they grew eerily silent.
clearing his throat, he finally found the courage to ask castiel, "baby? why did she fire you?"
"she knows dean..."
and with that, the topic was dropped as both men sat and pretended to sleep, even though their minds were racing.

a/n :

okay, life is hard and sucks and my updates are becoming shitty and the fact I update late is shitty and the fact I update at night is shitty and I'm so sorry but hey it's misha's birthday today and even though I'm lowkey sad, this makes me v happy so everyone have a good day and misha happy birthday and just I'm sorry ignore me.

cas.