xi

wednesday, march 8, 1967

silently, castiel typed away on his ancient typewriter while bumble bee purred and rubbed herself against his leg which was dangling off of the couch. thankfully, he hadn't had to take a shift today due to the fact the tea shop gained another worker- a lanky college student who's heart was
bigger than himself, garth. so, he took his day off and relaxed, writing, lounging, just forgetting about the outside world. that was until his landline rung from the side table next to him.

"hello?" he answered, balancing the phone between his shoulder and ear as he continued typing.

"hey babe. you free tonight?" dean asked on the other end, his smile obvious in the tone of voice he used.

cas was grateful de couldn't see the pink mess he had become at the nickname. his neck, cheeks, and even the tips of his ears felt warm as he stuttered around for a moment.

"oh! uhm- oh- uh. o-of course dean. I actually got a day off today," he explained, still bashful.

a snicker was heard, afterwards de's cool voice offering, "I'll swing by around five with some pizza. I was thinking of staying in, maybe?"

agreeing, they bid their 'see ya' around', the receiver clicking as he hung the phone back up on its dock. the plain black clock read 2:17, and castiel concluded he should straighten the place up and shower.

the past two or so weeks have been lovely. they went on a date every saturday now, each time something different. not to mention dean spontaneously showing up on his door step at random hours of random days. at one point, he was sitting on cas's front steps at three in the morning, knowing cas was still up thanks to his insomnia. they went for a drive around town, and cas actually got more sleep than he normally
would have. it was more than lovely if anything.

the house barely needed any tidying. all he had to do was put his writing away, stuff a few bills in the kitchen drawer reserved for things such as that, and wash a few dishes. bumble sat patiently as he went through with each simple task, meowing and rubbing on him whenever she could. what a needy wittle baby.

it was barely 2:30 when the house was made suitable to his standards; so, he decided to take a nice long shower where he could take his time.

walking to his master bath, he routinely set up the water pressure and temperature, allowing it to heat up as he began undressing himself. as he often did, castiel found himself preoccupied with starting over his own body. the thinner yet not exactly gawky frame of his, his arms and how whenever he straightened them out they seemed almost double jointed though they weren't, his messy hair, the never-a-specific-blue color of his eyes, and eventually his eyes traveled to his scars.

he was not proud of them, rather ashamed. there weren't many that were noticeable, most so light that it would take a discoloration of his skin for you to notice. yet, the few that were notice often haunted him. the deeper ones were from multiple failed attempts, the ones that made him feel as if he were more than a screw up kid: they were the ones that made him feel as if he were a complete failure.

     most would ball up and have a mental breakdown with these thoughts, but all castiel did was push the burning memories away. although they did bother him, and often would get to him, the sensation that would come while being reminded of such a painful past merely tingled his numbed soul. it was a pitiful thing, and he often tried to ignore the topic as much as possible.

     when the mirror was fogged with steam, causing his reflection to blur till it was no long recognizable, he finally stepped into shower. the hot water momentarily stung his skin, but quickly he sighed, allowing his body to relax and grow used to the heat. the water soaked his hair, making the light brown mess to flatten against his forehead. breathing out harshly, the water on his lips was sputtered off while he pushed his hair back with both hands. he leaned his head back, the spray flowing down his body.