Chapter Five

The intercom in Sera's apartment woke her up and she came stumbling out of her room to answer it.

"Who is it?" She struggled to open her eyes and look at the monitor to guess who it was.

"Morning sleepyhead, it's your fiancé, and I brought coffee."

She looked to the clock on the wall and screeched, "It's freaking nine o'clock, Gerald, you were supposed to call first." But she buzzed him up.

The lift door opened to reveal him wearing navy slacks and white long sleeve with the two top buttons open. He always looked handsome, she thought.

"Ahhhh, Sera. Your robe." He slapped his eyes dramatically, making Sera look down at herself.
She'd forgotten to tied it and it was showing her bra and panties. She liked to wear as little clothes as possible to sleep and for the first time it made her regret her choices.

"Please drop the act and have a seat. I'll be right back." She moved to change out of her nightwear.

"Oh don't change on my accord. I really don't mind." Gerald snickered at her.

Sera rolled her eyes. "Sure you don't." And slammed her door shut.

**

Sera went ahead to shower and dressed herself up in jeans and a denim sleeveless top which she tucked into her jeans. She wore her hair into a ponytail after hairdrying it. She really took her time and when she was done, it was already half past ten.

She walked out of her room to find Gerald on the floor on his back with his head on her throw pillows, scrolling his phone. He looked up when he noticed her.

"About damn time. The coffee's cold and I ate half of your muffin."

"Well, thanks." Was all Sera could muster.

She sat and finished the coffee and half-muffin and turned on the TV.

Gerald surprisingly humored her and they watched a show up until noon.

"Let's grab lunch." Sera switched off the TV.

"Okay. Change to a dress." Gerald instructed.

"Excuse me, I wear whatever I want." Sera countered.

"We are going to buy a ring, look the part will you?" He demanded and Sera huffed and change out to a loose pale blue dress but kept her hair up.

They had lunch at a cafè near her apartment and made their way to Bulgari at Rodeo Drive.

"Do you like it?" Gerald actually selected a few rings for Sera to choose from beforehand. She liked the gesture, and the brand of course.

"Yeah, I like this one." She wiggled the ring on her finger. It was a solitaire ring in platinum with a 5 carat round brilliant cut diamond and pavé diamonds. It's simple and she liked it that way. Her mom would be squealing right now.

Sera suddenly felt her chest tightened and looked for a place to sit. She walked across the store to sit at a sofa near the entrance.

"Are you alright, Sera?" Gerald seemed genuinely concerned as he reached her.

Sera nodded as a single tear slipped out.

Gerald went on his knees infront of her and slid the ring out of her fingers.

"Sera, thank you for what you are about to do for me. Thank you for coming into my life and saving me from hurting my mother. Thank you for making my mother happy before she leaves this world. I owe you my life," Gerald finished softly and he spoke only for her to hear, all while slipping the ring back into Sera's finger.