Chapter Nine

"Could you direct me to where Mrs Sandra Kaufman is please." Sera asked the nurse behind the desk.

The nurse requested for a moment to check but Sera heard Gerald's voice next to her.

"You're here." She turned and saw unshed blue eyes with a worn face. Gerald looked beyond distraught.

Sera hugged him tightly. She whispered sorrys into his neck and rubbed the back of his head up and down.

She felt the wet tears on her shoulders and her heart broke. She waited for him to break the embrace but he didn't let her go. So she cried for him, cried for Sandra and Mandy, cried for Reid and most of all, cried for her parents whom she needed more than ever now.

**

When they finally let each other go, Sera looked into Gerald's eyes and asked for Mandy.

He led her to the family and Sera comforted them the best she could and held Mandy tightly all the way through.

She didn't get to see Sandra, though. She was brought away by the time Sera arrived. She'd have to wait until the day of the funeral.

The Kaufman went their seperate ways, with Mr Kaufman being held by Mandy's husband and Hank, and Gerald walked alone ahead of her and Mandy.

When they reached their cars, Mandy kissed Sera on the cheeks and asked for her to call tomorrow morning. Sera nodded and Mandy left to climbed into the car next to her husband and her father at the backseat. Hank was driving and waiting for Gerald to enter.

Gerald dismissed them. "Sera will send me back."

Hank's eyes bore into the both of them with such intensity. He floored the car, leaving Sera frowning.

"Sera, give me your car keys." Gerald held out his hands.

She passed it to him and they both headed to her car. He drove off and was silent throughout the journey to his house.

Finally, when he climbed out of the car infront of his house, he insisted she come with him.

They climbed down the side stairs and Sera was led to the pool overlooking the city. Gerald laid on the pool chaise lounge chairs and tapped the one next to him, prompting her to sit.

They stared out the night and Sera used the towels on the chairs to cover her legs.

After what seemed like hours, Gerald finally broke the silent.

"Sera, how'd you know Mr Reid?" She froze.
She rather have the silence than this question from him.

"Sera?" He pressed.

"Remember when you announced our engagement to your family and then you brought me to The Bar? Yeah so, you went away for awhile and I was alone and like before you came and spoke with him, well he sat next to me. We didn't talk, we just saw each other I guess. I did moved from him and I guess that's why you didn't know we met. And then when I went to New York, he recognized and approached me. But we still didn't talk because they weren't anything to talk about since I didn't know him other than about you telling me he's helping you with the bar. But then he became my client. He asked The Lifestyle to find presents for his niece and I didn't know it was him until I met him and then yeah, we sort of know each other now."

"You know when you left my office? He saw you leaving and he stood up. He asked to be excused and for his lawyer to continue the meeting with me without him. I thought he had to go somewhere. But I found out he went after you. Because Hank saw you both together. And I wouldn't know about it if it weren't for Hank."