Chapter Fourteen

Stiles breathes out as he looks at Snow, watching her little mouth suckle at the air after he feeds her, and he runs his finger down her cheek. He looks up when he hears a knock on the door, and he calls a soft come in. Snow is a few days old now, Stiles already falling into an easy pattern of taking care of her, and he looks up when he sees Peter. "Derek sent for me." Peter says, running his hand through his graying hair to free the snow from it. Stiles nods his head as he beckons him over to the bed to look at the baby. Peter sits down on the bed, cautiously looking over, and he doesn't say anything for a short time. "I know you got me drunk all those nights ago, Stiles. You didn't fool me." Peter tells him, and Stiles feels his heart drop.

"Oh, Peter. I'm so sorry." Stiles says, looking down at his lap. He feels ashamed that he did that, that he tried to trick Peter into thinking that they slept together, but Peter doesn't look angry. "I don't know what to do to make it better." Stiles says, and Peter chuckles humorlessly as he looks at him. It's not a cruel look, it's more like he's tired, and Stiles looks down at his daughter.

"She has his eyes, Stiles. You're fooling no one. I know she's Derek." Peter tells him, and Stiles looks up at him as he feels his eyes getting misty with shame. "She's still beautiful." Peter tells him, and Stiles wipes his eyes as he looks at him.

"Things aren't going to be same between us, are they?" Stiles cries, looking at him as Snow makes annoyed noises as he moves her around some. Peter gives him a sad smile as he wipes his tear away before shaking his head, and Stiles sniffs. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to trick you. I didn't know what to do. I thought you were going to leave me. I wouldn't have had anywhere to go. You think that my father would have let me and my bastard daughter go home?" Stiles asks him, and Peter shushes him gently as he starts to get Snow upset by his raising voice. Stiles instantly stops yelling, not wanting to upset his little girl, and he sighs softly as he looks at him.

"I wouldn't have done that, but I don't blame you." Peter says, and Stiles sniffs as he nods his head as he looks at him. "I should let you two rest. I'll send word to your father, tell him that she was early but healthy." Peter says, and Stiles sniffs as he nods his head.

"Tell him not to visit." Stiles says, sighing as he smells that Snow has made a mess. Peter wrinkles his nose before he moves to leave them alone. "Peter?" Stiles says, reaching out to stop him. Peter turns towards him as he turns his head to wait for him to speak. "I do love you, Peter. But not in the way you need. Not the way he does." Stiles says, referring to Peter's lover. He knows nothing of the other man, he doesn't think that he wants too, and he smiles when Peter presses a kiss to his forehead.

****

Stiles breathes out as he gets out of bed for the first time in two weeks, allowing the maids to change his sheets and bedding, and he walks with Snow down the hallways. He can hear the maids' whispers, he doesn't pay attention to them since he no longer cares for gossip nor trying to stop it, and he lets some of them look at his daughter. She's gained weight rapidly, looking bigger than her age, and he pats her bottom as he leads her around to find Peter to speak to him since he's bored now. He looks out the window, seeing the horses being walked, and he smiles when he sees Derek. He doesn't want to go outside, not with Snow in this cold, and he stands by the window to watch them.

Derek spots him, and he stares for a moment before walking over since the horses are enclosed with the gate. "Stiles. How is she?" Derek asks him, looking at the thick bundles of blankets that the baby is under. Stiles smiles at him as he shows Snow to him. "She's getting big." Derek says, reaching to touch her but drawing his hand back since they're dirty. "I'm sorry, I'm not clean."

Stiles chuckles softly as he looks at him and he nods his head. "That's fine. She's not a sickly baby surprisingly." Stiles says, watching him. "I'm doing well. I'm able to walk around now without help." Stiles says, answering a question that Derek didn't ask but wanted too. They don't speak for a few moments, Snow filling the silence with her babbling and coos, and Stiles looks at him. "Why are you a stable boy?" Stiles asks him. "Peter is wealthy and you act like you aren't. Are you poor?" Stiles asks him, and Derek chuckles. "You said you didn't like to be the person that your mother wants, but you mentioned to Peter that she was gone." Stiles says.

"She is gone, but she wasn't like Peter. She was cruel and an elitist. She never bothered to learn the servants' names, so I thought what better way to say fuck you than be a stable boy after she died." Derek says, and Stiles understands that. "I didn't want to be like her. I wish that I could be like Peter, but I'm not." Derek says, smiling some when Snow starts to fuss. "She's like you." Derek laughs, warmly.

Stiles rolls his eyes as he soothes her, and he looks at him. "What am I going to do with you?" Stiles asks him, rhetorically. Derek smiles as he shrugs his shoulders. "Don't leave me again, Derek. Please." Stiles tells him, and Derek nods his head as he looks at Snow.

"You're not wearing your wedding ring." Derek says, looking at him. Stiles looks down at his hand before nodding. "The maids are whispering that it doesn't fit anymore since you've gain weight." Derek says, and Stiles laughs as he nods his head.

"It's true." Stiles says, nodding his head. "But Peter and I have reached an understanding." Stiles says, looking at him. "I don't know exactly what they mean, but it's true." Stiles says, looking at him.