Hope's First Words

During the weekends when Hogwarts wasn't in session, Remus always requested spending time with his granddaughter, which gave Eleanor and Fred some time to themselves. Normally, it involved he and Tonks allowing Hope and Teddy to interact, but Remus did try to separate his time to spend with his granddaughter, just being the two of them. Day after day, it was quite obvious that Hope was taking after the Lupin genetics as she resembled her mother and her namesake, more and more. He could see the clear development of the hint of green in her eyes and hoped that it would stay.

Hope never grew upset around her grandfather or in the presence of Lyall, she seemed to enjoy the company of the men, usually smiling or making some sort of noise. She really liked touching his hair and pulling it a lot of the times. Remus was pretty sure by the time Hope was a toddler, he would be completely bald.

"Gahferal." Hope said to him one day as she sat in his lap looking up at him.

"Oh is that so?" Remus chuckled looking down at her. She grinned, exposing her toothless grin. She made a little gurgling sound mixed with a laugh before shoving her teething ring into her mouth.

"What is with you and this thing?" Remus asked taking the teething ring from her for a moment. Suddenly, Hope's face became expressionless, alarming the grandfather completely.

"Oh dear." Tonks said as she entered the room with Teddy.

"What? What did I do? Why is she looking at me like that?" Remus became panicked.

"This is the calm before the storm." Tonks told him before Teddy clapped his little hands over his ears.

Remus didn't understand right away until Hope's bottom lip trembled.

"Oh no..wait!" Remus started waving the teething ring in front of her face. "It's okay? See! Yay..look teething ring. Please don't cry."

He watched as the small tear ventured down her cheek and slid off onto her leg. As soon as the tear hit, all hell broke loose.

"Merlin!" Remus immediately stood up, holding Hope in his arms.

"Now why did you take it from her in the first place?" Tonks asked.

"I was just trying to see what was so special about the thing, I wasn't taking it away from her completely."

"Now you've done it."

Suddenly, the door opened to the home and Lyall walked in.

"Hopey is really loud, Mummy." Teddy said looking to his mother.

"Yes, dear, she is. But you were just the same...must be a Lupin quality."

"Oh no, no, no..." Lyall said in a soft voice as he approached his son and his great-granddaughter after greeting his daughter-in-law and grandson. "What's all the fuss?"

He took Hope in his arms, and immediately she stopped crying.

Remus sighed but suddenly his eyes widened as he looked to Hope to see her glaring at him.

"Is she..is she..." he pointed to Hope's face in pure shock.

"Was Grandpa Remmy being mean to you?" Lyall cooed at Hope. She let out a small huff of air before resting her head on Lyall's shoulder, but didn't stop giving her grandfather a look.

"She's actually giving me a dirty look right now, is everyone seeing this?"

"Well, you're the one who took her toy away." Tonks pointed out.

"Remus!" Lyall scolded him.

"I was going to give it back!"

Teddy giggled as he watched the adults before he wandered over and took the teething ring from his father's hand and handed it back to Hope.