Homesick

Hogwarts was everything Hope had imagined and wished for upon her arrival. Surrounding by new and old friends, and some of her family, she enjoyed nearly every minute she spent at the school. However, there came the moments where the young Weasley definitely began to feel the effects of being homesick. Spending so much time around her parents growing up, normally accompanying them for long periods of time in the shop, it was incredibly weird not to talk to her mother or father face to face every day.

She missed her mother going into badger mode if something was irritating her or if she had to deal with a nasty customer in the shop. She missed her father making her laughing along with her Uncle George as they argued about the silliest of things or just seemed to have fun testing new products out.

Sitting on the sofa in the Gryffindor Common Room, Hope was wrapped up in a knitted quilt, a special one her mother had made for her when she was only just a baby. It was the one that had been draped over her and her father during many of their afternoon naps, and had become Hope's security quilt when she was missing home.

With her legs propped under her, she stared at the fire with a blank expression as she pulled at one of the loose threads on the quilt. She smiled as the memory of taking a nap with her father when she was only a few months old, flooded her vision. The quilt suddenly felt warmer as she settled back into the sofa.

The next memory was of her and her parents, resting under a blanket fort that her mother had built during the thunderstorm that frightened Hope when she was much younger. The three of them were settled beneath the fort, as her father told all sorts of stories to make her laugh while they sipped hot chocolate or as it was referred to in their household as "badger cocoa."

The feeling of weight sitting beside her, dragged her out of her memories as she turned her head to see Henry.

"What are you doing up?" He asked her.

"I could ask you the same."

"I asked you first." Henry countered.

Hope opened her mouth to retort but waited too long giving Henry the victory.

"Darn.." she said before giving him a look.

"So what are you doing awake?" Henry asked again.

"I couldn't sleep tonight." She said. "I've...been feeling kinda homesick."

"Really?" Henry gave her a look. "But you have Stella, Eliza, Teddy, your grandfather-"

"I know, but I miss my parents."

"Well, you write to them often them enough and they're pretty prompt in their responding."

'I know but it's not the same." Hope said. "I miss seeing them and hearing them. It's easier for you, you see your mum and dad everyday."

"You don't have to remind me. Do you not remember my mum wiping my face this morning during breakfast?"

"Well...you did have a bit of jam on your cheek." She giggled.

"Oh now you tell me!"

She smiled as she leaned her head on his shoulder and shared her quilt with him.

"Merlin..." Henry said with a slight cough.

"What?" Hope looked at him with an amused look. 

'What do you mean what? This quilt smells like gunpowder and cinnamon."

"I know." Hope said. "It smells like home."

Eleanor and Fred sat in the shop long after it closed, the two adults sitting on the counter, swinging their legs back and forth for a few minutes in silence.

Eleanor was the first to speak as she sighed loudly. "It's so quiet without her running about and doing something she's not supposed to."

"It's too quiet." Fred said. "Ugh, I feel old just saying it, but she grew up too fast for my liking."

His wife laughed as she rested her head on his shoulder. "She did, I agree and no you don't sound old saying it. I miss having her being around every second. It feels so weird without her, but I guess this is just something we have to deal with right? As she gets older, the less time she'll spend around us."

"Way to make the evening depressing, Ellie. Ten points to the badger."

"Listen Foxy Fred..."

"Oooh, I like the new nickname. Frisky Freddie finally getting a bit old for you, love?"

She smacked him on his back lightly. 

"Little lower next time." he teased before leaning in and kissing her. When the couple pulled away, Eleanor took one of Fred's hands and rested it in her lap.

"How do you think she's doing at Hogwarts? You think she ever gets homesick? Even a little?"

"With all the adventures I'm sure she's having, I highly doubt it, love. But it's wishful thinking, right?"