~Chapter twenty seven~

👄~📚~💫
I learned the things
you do not say tend
to scream the loudest
within.

-Beau Taplin
💫~📚~👄

Just before the blazing hot sun goes in for the evening; Aidan, Drew and Dylan all reconvene in the ocean for one last dip, leaving us girls alone to talk on the beach. So far, we've covered important topics such as Chloe's desires to go brunette and the school's Winter Formal; a dance which takes place once a year in early December to raise money for various charities. According to Jess, Chloe and Anna's friend, Daisy, it's a mini prom whereby the students of West Rose High have an excuse to get dressed up and spend a fortune on hair and makeup.

Not my scene at all to be honest but when put on for such a great cause, who am I to judge?

"So, Amelia. I have to ask, what's going on between you and Aidan? Anything juicy?" questions Chloe, sneaking a knowing glance to Jess, who suddenly busies herself with yet more sun screen.

"Nothing much. We're just good friends." I answer, much to Anna's inconvenience.

Her dramatic scoff and unimpressed head shake says more than I need to know and with wicked smirk that undeniably screams mischief, she annoyingly inputs her opinion.

"Yeah, friends who occasionally kiss." she smirks, in no way regretful for her minor slip up.

I instantly put up my guard and begin to shoot Anna what I hope to be the mother of all death stares; silently hating her and her big mouth. Revealing a secret like that is sure to open up certain questions and I'm in no mood to address the situation as of right now.

"We haven't kissed." I insist, hoping that in doing so I sound convincing. I never was any good at lying. "Anna's just messing with you." I add, unable to look either of them in the eye.

"Hmm, funny that isn't it Jess?" mocks Chloe, once again forcing the poor girl into a conversation she'd really rather not be involved in. "Because Aidan told the guys something completely different."

Well, shit.

"Chloe! We weren't supposed to repeat any of that. If Aidan finds out the guys blabbed!" she scolds, outraged by her best friends forward behaviour. "And if Amelia and Aidan want to kiss in private, let them! You sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong won't help." she adds, pointing an accusing finger in her general direction.

"Okay, okay. Let's not start world war three." I interfere, not liking where their small discussion is going. "We've kissed but it doesn't mean anything." I insist, slightly unsure why Aidan would feel the need to share our intimate moments with his two best friends.

Sure, it's good to get things off of your chest but having everyone know about it just adds pressure to the situation. Pressure that neither one of us is in any need of right now. Still, it is a little cute how he tells the guys everything and maybe hints towards a deeper meaning overall. In all honesty, I hadn't put much thought into Aidan's feelings towards me. Of course he likes me, I'm not in that much self doubt that I can't simply bring myself to imagine other people liking me in that way but perhaps things are a little more serious than I'd originally anticipated. Perhaps what we're experiencing is more than just a high school crush?