The New Employee

Ashley and Janet were sitting in Ashley’s office around 10am. Ashley was eating a bag of popcorn and Janet was drinking a cup of hot chocolate.

“Last night was wild, you have got to tell me what that kiss was about?” Ashley asked.

Janet laughed, “Yeah, I kind of feel bad about that, I mean using Steve like that, but it wasn’t like I could kiss Michael to make Terry see that I have moved on.”

“That sure looked like it was more than playing, I mean Steve’s hands went to moving and I think I saw some tongue getting involved.”

“Yeah, that kiss was pretty intense. At first it was just playing and then it kind of went too far. I really hope that Steve doesn’t take it the wrong way.”

“And what is the wrong way? I mean you can’t tell me that you didn’t enjoy it, we all saw it.”

“Yeah, it was nice, but Steve knows what’s up, we have always been friends and I just don’t think it can work.” Janet said.

“I think you need to talk to him, and I think you need to stop playing. I mean, let’s be real, why did you bring Terry over there to begin with?”

“I guess I was hoping that he would come to the plate and…”

"So you still love him…please don’t tell me you still love him.”

“I still love him.” Janet drooped her head while she said, “I still love Terry.”

Janet continued, “I think it is a good sign that he was willing to go over there and fight for me. I mean I ain’t ready to marry him, but I don’t want him to leave either.”

“And you bringing Steve into your mess. Your mind is messed up girl, I can’t believe…”

“I don’t need you to be a momma, I need you to be a friend.”

“OK, I’ll leave you alone.”

A knock came to the door and Michael stuck his head in the door. “Dr. Stevens is here and he wants an all hands meeting in the conference room in ten minutes.”

*******

Michael then walked over to Steve’s office and told him, “Dr. Stevens wants to meet with the whole team in ten minutes.”

Michael then shut the door and sat down. “I got something to show you.”

“What is it man?”

Michael pulled an engagement ring out of his pocket. “I been trying to find the right time to make it official with Laura.”

Steve smiled, “I wondered when you were gonna do this. So you asking me to be the best man?”

“Naw man, but I’m asking you to run a little interference for a brotha. I am trying to set up the perfect time and place to ask her.”

Steve looked at the ring and said, “I think it might be time for me to settle down too.”

“I hope you ain’t talking about Janet.”

“What’s wrong with Janet?”

“Look, I like Janet, but it looks like she still got some serious feelings for her ex.”

“I don’t know, but did you see that kiss last night, that seemed to be about me and not Terry.”

Look, I don’t want you to get hurt, but that’s your prerogative, I guess. But I just want to make sure that things don’t go wrong in this office.”

“We’ll be fine.”

“Fine? You two are already awkward up in here again. Now I don’t want to split you two up again, and I don’t want this shit affecting our work. What is going on? You talk to her and get this thing straightened out. If yall gonna date, OK Date, if yall ain’t, then don’t. But just don’t let it affect us at the office.”

“You really think she was thinking about Terry?”

“Come on let’s go to this meeting. You already know the answer to that question.”

Michael and Steve walked to the room where everyone was assembling.

*********

The whole Watt’s Research group was there. Michael, Laura, Ashley, Steve, Janet, and the Geek Squad. Laura was seated with the geek squad which was now 2 men and 1 young woman. Michael and Ashley were seated at the front of the room. Steve and Janet were seated together.

The Geek Squad, Watt’s Research’s group of computer programmers were now a group of five people. They now do work for the whole team.

Steve leaned over to Janet and told her, “We really need to talk about last night.”

Janet looked nervous and said, “I always have time for my friends.” She emphasized the word friends.

Steve looked a bit confused at Janet’s statement but then Dr. Stevens walked in.

Dr. Stevens walked in with Tina Simmons from Applied Research. He then said, “It is good to see all of you. I realize that I haven’t been around in a month or so, but you should know that all of your work is about to push us to another level.”

Dr. Stevens continued, “The reason why I brought you in is because I have an exciting initiative that I am working on. First, I am working on increasing our connection with Applied Research and increasing our profile in the city. Now you all know Tina. She has worked off and on with us for a while. In fact she used to have an office in this building.”

Tina smiled and said, “A cubicle.”

Dr. Stevens laughed, “Well Tina is moving from Applied Research to our team and will be a senior Vice president on the level of Michael here.”

Laura frowned and Michael tried to keep a straight face.

“Tina is our new VP of advertising. So Tina, the floor is yours.”

Tina Simmons walked up to the front of the room. “I am happy to be here, all of you know me and know how hard I work. I hope that we can start on anew. Right now we already have a new employee that I am going to bring on, she said she will be here in a few minutes. Then there is another opening that I hope we can fill, if you know anyone who can join our team, let me know.”

Carol, the receptionist, walked in and whispered something in Tina’s ear. Tina smiled and shook her head yes. Tina then said, “We are lucky to have this person join my team as we take Watt’s Research to the next level. Please join me in welcoming Penny Young to the team.”

The place got silent and then Janet looked over at Penny walking to the front and she ran out of the room. Steve ran behind her.

Michael just shook his head.