Three: Sorry, I Wasn't Expecting You To Be Hot

When I finally reach Forte Cabin, there are actually beads of sweat on my forehead.

            I'm not joking. Seriously, when you're standing under the entrance sign, looking out on the whole camp, the distance doesn't seem so great. But when you're walking it, on your own, with completely inappropriate shoes (note to self: sandals and hiking... not the best mix), and dragging what feels like a two ton case behind you...

            I beg to differ.

            Luckily, my cabin happens to be one of the first in the block, and doesn't require too much walking to get to. (Well, that's if you don't count the twenty mile trail beforehand...)

            I can spot it easily, despite the fact that the banner on the door has been ripped in half and now reads only 'Fort'. Just as I am debating whether to turn round and sprint back home (despite the 150 miles between my current location and our house), my train of thought  is interrupted by the sound of a high pitched scream, originating from... guess where?

            Forte Cabin.

            I love my life.

            Seriously, I bet Jenny planned all of this. It's probably some initiation ceremony that they force new counselors through, just to have a laugh at them. It's likely that I'm being filmed right now, recorded on a tape that Jenny and all her camp cronies will joke about in the staff room. It's all Jenny's fault.

            Calm down, Bailey. I know I'm just getting pissed about the fact that I've had to switch cabins. Unfortunately, I am the unfortunate sufferer of an extreme case of pessimism, which has only been made worse by the fact I've been stuck with probably the most unruly boys in the entire camp.

            Well, let's face it, there's not a lot to be optimistic about right now, is there?

            I drag my case up the couple of stairs, stopping in front of the door to allow myself a moment to prepare me mentally for the emotional trauma about to come.

            However, you know me, and nothing I ever do goes exactly to plan. Suddenly, the door flies open and before I am even aware of it, I am being bowled over by four small bodies, and ending up sprawled on the wooden floor in a completely uncomfortable and unflattering position.

            "What the...?" My voice trails off when my brain furiously reminds me that there are kids around.

            The boys, who have recovered from the collision in record time, continue their screaming and jump down onto the grass below, aiming their fully loaded water pistols at each other as they do so. The volume of their voices shoots upwards as a stream of water shoots out of the end of one of the pistols, and collides with the body of another boy.

            "Guys! Guys! Cease fire!" Another voice sounds from inside the cabin, as another guy comes rushing out of the door at full sprinting speed. A part of me wonders if it's another of the kids, but the tone sounds too deep for it to belong to one of them.

            Unfortunately, it doesn't occur to him that I am still in close contact with the floor, and his foot collides with the side of my body. This, in turn, sends him tripping over, until I feel a weight slam down on my body. Yep – you guessed it. He fell on me.

            An unusual sounding groan escapes my lips as the force of him landing on top of me squeezes the air out of my lungs. My head has collided with the floor for a second time, causing a pounding sensation to spread through it.