Epilogue

So here it is... I can't believe this story has ended already :( I'm sad. I hope you like this ending - it's kind of bittersweet. Anyway, what are you doing reading this? Get to reading it ;)

P.S. The song on the side doesn't really have any relevance... I just like it, and it's also called 'The End' so I decided to stick it on there, lol.

------------------------------------

“Bye, Bailey!”

            I spin around to see Jenny bounding towards me. Her face is flushed and slightly sun burnt, but she looks… less stressed. This probably has something to do with the fact that the longest six weeks of her life are now over, leaving her free to return home (where it is not her job to control two hundred hyperactive kids).

            “I can’t believe it’s the end of camp already,” she comments, with a pitying look down at the case by my feet. “It’s gone by so fast, hasn’t it?”

            “I know.”

            And I’m not lying.

            Well, the first two and a bit weeks were verging on painful, but it improved. You know, after I realized that Blake is a heartless, insensitive idiot and that his brother’s the one I actually like.

            Might have a little bit to do with it.

            “Well, I’m so glad you managed to stick it out with your cabin. I’m sorry about all the… incidents at the start. I felt really bad about having to switch you, but there were no alternatives, and-”

            “It’s fine,” I interject, with a smile. “The cabin was fine. I really enjoyed it.”

            “Oh, I’m so glad!” Jenny gushes. Then, her attention is drawn to a couple of other counselors standing a few meters away from me. “I’ve got to go speak to Laura over there, but I’ll see you soon, Bailey.”

            I nod in response and we say our goodbyes, giving the supervisor her cue to see to the other counselors. Whilst I am standing alone in the forecourt, I take the opportunity to give my surroundings a final onceover. The camp entrance is filled with people – kids with huge guitars on their bags eagerly greeting much missed parents, experienced counselors bidding their tearful goodbyes to their friends whom they will not see for another year, as well as the first time counselors wondering how the hell they got through the summer.

            No prizes for guessing which category I come into.

            Then, suddenly, I am yanked from my wistful thoughts by the sound of someone’s loud voice yelling “Boo!” right beside my ear.

            “Thanks for that, Savannah,” I say sarcastically, as I turn to greet my best friend.

            She looks oddly happy in consideration of the circumstances. Her cute face is lit up by a bright smile that lifts her cheeks, and her pink pull-along case stands behind her, waiting upon its loading onto the bus which is waiting patiently in the parking lot.

            “No problem!” she responds with a grin. “Can you believe summer’s over already?”

            “I know.” A sigh escapes my mouth. Because, despite all my complaints at the beginning of camp, I actually really enjoyed it. Living without the worries of walking into Jake’s next trap actually made the experience a whole lot more pleasurable, believe it or not (even though there was a small incident involving a box of tampons and our cabin roof, but we’ll let that one slide).