Five: I've Known Him Two Hours and He's Already Seen My Underwear

I notice that the air temperature has decreased significantly since the start of dinner, and the chilly wind nips at my exposed arms as I make my way back to the cabin.

            I’m not going to lie... I’m pissed off as hell. This is mostly down to Jake, who seems determined to ruin my life here even though I only arrived a few hours ago. That spaghetti thing was so uncalled for. Seriously, what have I ever done to him? The answer: nothing. So why does that make me deserving of humiliation in front of the entire camp?

            Although this makes up the largest proportion of my irritation, part of the reason for my negative mood is also... yup, you guessed it. Cindy DeLuna.

            See what I mean? Even her name is perfect. Everything about her annoys the crap out of me, even though she hasn’t said anything directly to me yet. It’s just the way she acts that makes me want to punch her in the face – clinging onto Blake and flirting with him so openly, as if she doesn’t care about sounding completely desperate.

            So altogether, this makes for a really pissed off Bailey.

            “Bailey... Bailey! Wait up!”

            My ears prick up at the sound of the distant voice behind me, and I spin round to identify its owner. I’m half-expecting it to be Cindy, just to aggravate me even further. However, my anger softens slightly when I see Savannah hastening towards me.

            “Savannah...” I say, in the kindest tone I can muster. “I just want to take a shower and not talk to anyone.”

            I continue walking, despite the fact that my best friend has not caught up with me yet. I can feel my hair marinating in the sticky mess of tomato sauce and all I want to do is jump in the shower and remove all evidence of this embarrassing incident.

            “Please wait up!” Savannah calls from behind me. I can tell that she is closer now and in a couple of seconds she is on my tail, able to grab my arm in an attempt to slow me down. “Bailey... seriously. Don’t get upset about what happened in there. Everyone knows it’s just Jake being stupid.”

            “I don’t want to talk about it.”

            We reach the cabin and I shove my key in the lock, forcing the door open. The cozy warmth of the cabin is welcome against my bare skin. I immediately head into my room, where my (repacked) case is lying on the bed, and grab my wash bag.

            As soon as I step under the hot water that comes flying out of the shower head, I feel my muscles relax. I could say the tension is melting away but I’d be lying – if I’m honest, I’m too pissed for a simple shower to clear my head. For some reason, the steamy cubicle seems like a safe haven shielding me from the rest of the world (and by that I mean, everyone at this camp), which is probably why I’m reluctant to get out. After washing myself, I finally force my body out from the stream of water and into the seemingly freezing bathroom.

            Compared to inside the shower, the tiled bathroom feels like it’s about the same temperature as Antarctica and within seconds I am shivering. I wrap a towel around my body quickly, eager to feel the warmth that will save me from the polar temperature of the air.

            I pull on a plain white tee and gray track pants retrieved from my case, and when I exit my room I am slightly startled to see Savannah sitting there. “You’re sat here waiting for me?”