Fifteen: Eavesdropping? I Prefer the Term "Listening Without Permission..."

I didn’t mean to end up like this.

            And when I say that, I mean I didn’t plan to end up buried in a bush below Rhythm Cabin, trying my best not to be spotted by any passersby (or even worse, anyone from inside the cabin).

            Because, let’s face it, it’s kind of awkward when you’re caught listening in at someone’s window from the shelter of some nearby shrubbery.

            Just a tad.

            I seriously need to get out soon, though. I’m pretty sure my skin is already likened to a bad case of chicken pox, where all the sharp branches have prickled my bare arms. This is probably why bushes aren’t designed to make comfy seating areas.

            But seriously, it was way too tempting. How was I supposed to resist when I clearly heard Tom going into Rhythm Cabin, where his brother is? He said that he’d talk to him about me... I just saw the window and grabbed the opportunity.

            Even though, in hindsight, it’s probably one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made.

            You know, apart from the orange hair thing.

            And despite going through all this trouble, pain and risk of mortification if I’m caught, I still haven’t found out anything. Why did I even think of doing this? I’m such an idiot. It’s pretty obvious that Blake prefers Cindy to me, anyway. That’s what he’ll tell Tom.

            And yes, I am still freaking paranoid that Tom will say something embarrassing about me. Because that’s exactly what he’s like, and I don’t think I can take any more humiliation this summer. Haven’t I suffered enough?

            I’ve got a feeling the God of Embarrassment doesn’t agree with me.

            “So... what about Bailey?”

            Immediately, my ears prick up. The sound seems to be originating from inside the cabin I am stalking. Yes, result! Maybe my chicken pox looking skin will be worth it.

            Well, it probably won’t be, but I still want to hear their conversation.

            I’m incredibly tempted to stand up so I can see through the window, but the more rational part of my brain tells me that this would not be a good idea. Because suddenly appearing at someone’s window doesn’t scream ‘I’m a stalker!

            There is a pause, as well as the sound of shuffling. “She’s cool,” comes Blake’s response.

            Well, I was kind of hoping for “she’s the most amazing girl I’ve ever met and I’ve fallen madly in love with her”, but you know. “She’s cool” will do too.

            “Where did you guys disappear off to the other day?”

            Way to be subtle, Tom. I’m actually kind of afraid the next words out of his mouth are going to be “She’s asked me to find out whether you like her, so do you?”

            “Oh…” Another pause. “We just went down to the lake.”

            And almost made out, I want to add.

            “You seemed to be getting on pretty well.”

            “Yeah, she’s alright.”