Ten: Taking the Plunge Only Leads To One Thing... A Tidal Wave

Ten: Taking the Plunge Only Leads to One Thing... A Tidal Wave

“Get up.”

            I am interrupted from my peaceful slumber by the force of a pile of clothes landing on top of me. Reluctantly, I wrench my eyes open and let the blinding sunlight gradually enter my pupils.

            However, when I catch sight of the figure hovering above me, I completely forget about the prevention of sightlessness and pull the covers more tightly over me. “What are you doing here?!”

            “I let myself in.” Blake shrugs, like it’s no big deal. I try not to let myself get caught up in the sight of those sapphire colored eyes which are just way too inviting. Seriously… that guy should wear sunglasses. How can he expect anyone around him to concentrate when those dark blue pools may be cast on them at any moment? “Now, get dressed.”

            “Why?”

            The cabin is empty, apart from myself and the unexpected visitor in the form of a Greek God. After my ‘traumatic day’ yesterday, the nurse (cue lesbian jokes) told me I should sit out of the activities of today. Apparently, Jake’s fists caused more damage than I was expecting, and I am now suffering from minor bruising around the areas where he beat me.

            On the bright side, this earns me a relaxing day spent doing nothing in my cabin.

            Until now.

            “We’re going down to the lake,” Blake informs me. Before I can stop him, he is rifling through my case (which I still haven’t unpacked yet) and inspecting the suitability of the items of clothing inside it.

            “Get out of there!” Immediately, I throw the covers off my body and jump out of bed. He may have seen my underwear once already, but there’s no need for a second viewing. Plus, I have other stuff in there I’m not exactly keen on him inspecting. “And didn’t you hear the nurse? I’m not going down to the lake. I’m excused. Remember?”

            “I know that,” he says, his tone hinting at patronization. Suddenly, a bikini top is launched at my face. “You can wear that, right?”

            “No!” I pull him away from the case, closing it and sitting on top, therefore rendering him unable to continue with his nosiness. The bikini top is clutched in my hand and I shoot him an exasperated look. “I’m not going down to the lake. Everyone else is there, and I’m excused.”

            “We won’t go to that lake. We’ll go to the other one.”

            “Why?”

            “Because,” he says, rolling his eyes as if I am a small child, “I’m going to teach you how to swim. After the incident yesterday, it’s clear that you need to. Do you want to drown?”

            I am unable to speak as his words process in my brain. He wants to teach me how to swim? No way. No way José. There is no way I am stripping off in front of Blake, just to make a fool out of myself in the water. I’d rather get into another fight with Jake before that happened.

            “I don’t want to,” I say defiantly.

            “Well, tough,” he says. “You have to learn how to swim. You can either get changed and follow me down there, or I’ll carry you. And throw you in wearing that.” He gestures towards my (totally embarrassing) PJs.