Threads

Author's Note: I'm normally as soft and cute as a bunny rabbit, but my story is copyright, so if you steal it and pretend it's yours, I will come down on you like the hammer of Thor. Thanks, have a nice day!

CHAPTER ONE

The Letter

            “This one is for you.”

            “What?” Alice put down her coffee mug and stared at the cream coloured envelope her mother was holding out to her. She didn’t recognize the loopy cursive writing on the front. “Ms. Alice Jane Cunningham.”

            Her mother shrugged. “Junk mail?”

            “There’s no return address.” Alice slipped her finger under the edge of the flap and tore it open. She pulled out a white slip of paper, catching an unusual fragrance as she did so. Was that cinnamon?  The white paper unfolded into a letter written in the same loopy handwriting.

March 9th Thursday, 2013

Dear Alice,

If you are reading this it means I have passed on.  I have taken all my worldly possessions with me - don’t let anyone tell you you can’t - save one thing. I leave you my beloved shop at 877 Douglas Street, Victoria BC.

You will find a Ms. Azura Grey there. She will teach you the ins and outs of the business.  I have left the shop to YOU and no one else.

Enclosed you will find the deed to the shop and a key.

I hope this letter finds you well or at least healthier then I.

Sincerely,

Great Aunt Ruby Cox

            “Mom, is this a joke? Who’s Ruby Cox?”

            “Crazy Aunt Ruby? Let me see that.” Her mother seized the letter.

            “I have a great aunt I don’t know about?” Alice picked up the envelope. “And she’s crazy? I thought there was supposed to be a…oh!”  The envelope suddenly seemed heavier in her hand, and when she tipped it upside down a rusted silver key fell into her palm.

             “This is unbelievable” Her mother was still staring at the letter. “I didn’t know she had a shop here in Victoria. She moved to Calgary when you were only seven. We never stayed in touch because she was…well, she was a little nuts.” She scratched her head and continued to stare at the letter.  Alice stuck her hand into the envelope again and pulled out another sheet of paper

            “Here’s the deed.”

            “I can’t believe this.” Her mother flapped the letter toward her face like a fan.  “Why would she leave this to you? She hasn’t seen you in years.”

             Alice unfolded the deed and looked over the document, not understanding much except that her name was on it and it looked official.

            “I don’t know why I’m getting the shop. Doesn’t she have children? It doesn’t make any sense.”

            “Most of what Ruby Cox did didn’t make any sense. And no, she never had any children. She never married.’

            They looked up as Alice’s father entered the kitchen, and Alice jumped up excitedly. “Dad, look at this!”

            Her father, his dark hair still wet from the shower, blinked, “What?”