Chapter Seven: Part 2

“I’m going to just pop upstairs while we’re waiting for Gabriel to return.”

            Alice went to sit with Shakra and the Emerald by the fire. “You and Emmy are pals now I see.”

            “She took some time to warm up to me,” Shakra said. “I think she was rather indignant about how much space I took up in front of her fire.” Emerald mewed in what could have been agreement, and Alice laughed.

“Can you tell what other animals are saying?”

            “Not really. I can read body language. Cats are very expressive when they want to be, but anyone could learn to read them if they were taught how.”

            “Huh.” Alice stared at Emerald, watching the little grey cat yawn and curl up into a ball, nestling herself deeper into Shakra’s soft fur.

            “We are on the move soon?”

            “Yes,” Alice said. “Egypt next.  Azura says Cairo.”

            “I have been to Cairo many times.” Shakra went quiet for a second, and then said, “Though I was not in this form.”

            Alice hesitated. “So this person, this man hunting you, you said you haven’t heard of him in years? He has no idea you’re not a human any longer?”

            “I will tell you my tale someday soon, Alice. I am much indebted to you and you are honourable and trustworthy. For now let me say that the man that hunts me is a powerful Wizard. I changed myself, knowing he would be looking for me in my human form, never guessing I would reduce myself to this.”

            “Reduce yourself,” Alice said. “Shakra, you’re a White Tiger. You’re breathtakingly beautiful. Maybe if you had turned yourself into a house cat…” She looked down at Emerald, who blinked green eyes at her. “Sorry, Emmy.”

            Alice wanted to ask Shakra why she had a powerful Wizard angry with her, but it didn’t seem like she was inclined to finish the story just yet.

            “I believe your new employee is approaching”

            She looked up as Gabriel pushed the shop door open. He was carrying a suitcase in one hand, and a black bag was slung over one shoulder. Alice wondered if that’s all he owned, but she was careful not to say anything about it.

            “Hey!” She stood up out of the arm chair. “Come on into the back room and I’ll show you to the apartment.”

            “Are you sure you don’t mind me staying in your extra bedroom?” Gabriel said nervously. “I can sleep in the backroom, you know.”

            “It’s fine.” Alice entered the back room and flicked on the light switch. “You can stay in the spare room until we get another suite tacked on up here. Azura says she knows a man who can do it in few days. I think it’s amazing that we can get three suites up here. But Azura acts like it’s no big deal”

            Gabriel gave her a curious look as they walked up the stairs. “If you don’t mind me asking, have you always been a Witch?”

            That was probably a nice way of asking if she was a total beginner. ”Not at all,” she admitted. “Three weeks ago, I would have laughed at you if you told me magic existed.”

            “So Azura’s teaching you spells I guess, huh?”

            “Yeah, I’ve already learned how to enchant pretty much everything in the shop.”