Chapter Six-Part 2

“I didn’t buy him - I set him free.”

            The Tiger rumbled, “I’m much obliged.”

            Azura stared at the Tiger, and then to Alice’s astonishment she came around the counter and crouched in front of the animal. “You were human once, weren’t you?”

            “My name is Shakra,” the Tiger rumbled. “Yes, I was a human woman…a long time ago.”

            “What happened to you?” Alice asked.

            “It’s a long story. But in short, I was a Witch who got into something over her head. To escape someone who was hunting for me, I placed a spell on myself and escaped into the jungles of India.  Then other hunters came. I woke up in that horrid cage a week ago, confused and terrified.” Shakra inclined her head slightly towards Alice. “I am indebted to you, child.”

Azura arched one silver brow. “This person hunting you, will they come looking for you here?”

            “I do not think so. I have heard nothing of him in many years.”

            “What if that Pavlov guy comes?” Alice glanced over her shoulder at the door of the shop.

Shakra rumbled, “Do not fear that hack - without the warped magic of his shop he can do nothing. He does not hold true power.”

            “We should report him,” Alice said grimly. “Is there a Council for magic here in Victoria? That shop needs to be shut down.”

            “There is a council,” Azura said. “But if my guess is correct, that man is long gone. His shop probably moves much the same way as Threads, but for different reasons.”

            They both looked to Shakra, who bowed her head slightly. “His shop moves every few days; yes, he is probably gone by now.”

            “No, he can’t be!” Alice ran for the door, and Azura and Shakra followed her. They startled a woman walking past the store front; she took a look at Shakra bounding forward and gasped, staggering backwards.

            “Sorry,” Azura told the startled Witch.

            The pet shop was gone, replaced by an empty store front that had a “For Rent” sign in the window, and Alice growled her frustration, banging one fist on the window pane.

            “No!”

            Azura frowned. “Sorry, Alice. These types of businesses do exist; sooner or later most of them get shut down.”

            “Not comforting.” Alice glared into the empty store. “You should have seen it in there, Azura. It was disgusting. Those poor creatures jammed into tiny cages. I want to do something about it!”

            “You have, child.” Shakra brushed against her hand, and Alice curled her fingers in the Tiger’s soft fur. “You saved me.”

            Alice sighed. “I’m glad I did, Shakra. I just hope that horrible man will get caught.”

            “He’ll get what’s coming,” Shakra said. “Now let’s go back inside your shop, dear. I’m being stared at.” Alice looked up to see several little girls across the street gawking open mouthed at the Tiger. They were dressed in smart looking plaid skirts and long knee socks.