Chapter Fourteen: Part 2

Alice took the arm he offered, her skin tingling at the close contact. She allowed him to sweep her forward through the ballroom. Altair and Gabriel halted awkwardly and then hurriedly followed behind them. Ambrose ignored them completely, but the women following him shot them flirtatious glances.

            As they were escorted across the ballroom floor and into the thick of the party, Alice had the opportunity to see one of the golden statues more closely. She was shocked to see the statues eyes flickering back and forth. She gasped, noticing one of the golden hands tremble slightly under the platter.

             “Do you like my statues?” Ambrose glanced at her, gauging her reaction. Instinctively she kept her expression neutral.   He led her through the crowd, which parted for them as they crossed the floor.  She could hear people whispering as they swept past. The women shot the pop star seductive glances, and stared at Alice with ire, backing away when Shakra came close. The men simply nodded at them as they passed, and one or two eyed Alice with interest.  “Come.” Ambrose continued, “I will give you the tour.”

            They exited the ballroom, emerging into a spacious hallway.  Crystal draped chandeliers hung from the high domed ceiling, and their feet made no noise on the plush red carpet. Alice glanced at some of the paintings on the walls as they passed. They featured Grecian heroes with spears and swords, and she wondered if any of them were supposed to be Ambrose.  There was only one painting that didn’t depict a bloody battle. A dark haired Grecian beauty posed against a grey backdrop. Alice paused, taking in the exotic eyes and proud features. The woman clutched a clay jar to her bosom, and her expression was one of mischievous contempt.       

            “First, I will show you my room of amusement.” Ambrose beckoned them to a door at the end of the hall. He pressed his thumb into a glowing electronic pad at the edge of the doorframe and the door slid to one side as he gestured grandly.

            “Have a look.”

            Alice walked into the dark room cautiously. Ambrose followed close behind, saying loudly, “Let there be light!” The room suddenly flooded into view, lit by another chandelier.  It was massive, and behind her Tricia and Lacy gasped. Alice kept her face impassive, but secretly she was rather awed. The entertainment room was done all in white, with a large flat screen TV at the far end presiding over a gas fire place.  At the other end a Jacuzzi was surrounded by white candles and pink rose petals. None of the candles were lit, but it was easy to picture. Alice coloured slightly. Ambrose was watching her reaction, and she was grateful her mask hid most of her face.

            “Do you like it?” Ambrose’s voice was low, his dark eyes burning from within his mask. Boys in school had never looked at her like that - they were awkward or shy or just not interested.  Altair was different, with his flirtatious mocking, but Ambrose was intense, almost predatory. She remembered what Gabriel had said about Ambrose looking like he wanted to eat her, and she suppressed a shiver, doing her best to keep her voice level.

“It’s lovely.”

            Behind them, Tricia and Lacy were proclaiming how amazing the room was, and Ambrose’s women continued to flirt with Altair and Gabriel. When Alice turned she saw Gabriel looking confused and tense. Altair was rigid where he stood, ignoring the women as they tried to catch his attention. His blue eyes were troubled. He’s very nervous. I wonder if any of them would try anything with so many guests around.

            Allira was the only one who wasn’t flirting with the two men; instead she was staring at Alice, hands clenched into fists. The Siren was giving her a look of such loathing that Alice nearly backed up a step. Ambrose took her arm again.