Chapter Thirteen- Part 2

“Surely you don’t mean me?” Altair put a hand to his heart, dramatically. “M’lady, you wound me.”

            “I doubt it.”

            “Word on the street is that Ambrose showed an interest in you and you turned down his invitation.”

            “I’m getting awfully sick of the word on the street. It always seems to know things far sooner than it should.”

            “That’s how it goes.”

Alice looked down at her watch. “Crap…I’m late. I need to go.”

            “Just an hour for lunch?” Altair teased. “I thought you were the boss?”

            “I don’t expect I’ll be in trouble.” Alice stood up off her stool and collected the remains of her lunch, tossing it in the trash.

            “I’ll walk you to the shop.”

            “How gallant - I’m sure Azura will be thrilled to see you.”

            Altair walked ahead and held the door open for her. That was surprising. Alice waved to Isabella, who had been watching her and Altair with great interest, and they walked across the street together. Again Altair held the door open for her when they reached the shop. Alice nodded her thanks and paused in the doorway for a moment.

“You are chivalrous today, aren’t you?”

            He grinned down at her. “Always, darlin’.”

            “Stop calling me that.” As Alice turned and walked into the shop, she heard his hearty chuckle as he closed the door behind her. She watched out of the corner of her eye as he walked past the window and out of sight.

            “So he found you, did he?”  Azura sounded mildly disapproving, like a mother who didn’t favour her daughter’s date.

            “He did. He interrupted my lunch.”

            “What did he want?”

            She shrugged. “I’m not really sure. We talked - I think he wants me to forgive him.”

             “And have you?”

            “Not exactly...I’m still holding a grudge.”

            “Understandable.”

            “He irritates the crap out of me,” Alice mused, “And yet…” She trailed off, her face beginning to turn bright red.  Good thing Gabriel isn’t here.

            “And yet he doesn’t?” Azura smiled. “Does it have anything to do with the fact that he’s very good looking?”

            “No,” Alice said sharply.

            “She protests too loudly.”

            Alice glared at Shakra. “Oh hush.”

Shakra moved to sit beside the desk.  “Don’t let young Gabriel hear you talk about him.”

            “Gabriel can just keep it to himself. I already bit his head off for offering his opinion on the subject yesterday; I don’t think he’ll do it again.”

            Azura glanced knowingly at Shakra. “I doubt Gabriel is going to be discouraged by your sharp tongue, Alice. He likes you a lot.”